Let’s take a look at the best performances in the Astros system in April.
*Just a note, these are my picks for the month*
AAA: Sugar Land Space Cowboys
HITTER: J.J. Matijevic, 1B
- April Stats: 17 G, .261 BA/.301 OBP/.522 SLG, 4 2B, 4 HR, 11 RBI, SB
It was a rough month for the Space Cowboys on offense but Matijevic was a bright spot posting a .823 OPS in 17 games. The left handed slugger also connected on four double and four homers, which led the team in April.
PITCHER: J.P. France, RHP
- April Stats: 4 G, 2.33 ERA, 19.1 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 11 BB, 26 SO
France was added to the 40-man roster this off-season and had a great showing in April. The right-hander struck out 26 in 19.1 innings and flashed some impressive velocity nearing 97 MPH. He held batters to a .136 BAA in April.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: Joey Loperfido, OF
- April Stats: 16 G, .349 BA/.423 OBP/.697 SLG, 4 2B, 2 3B, 5 HR, 19 RBI, 6 SB
Loperfido started the season in Asheville but got a quick promotion to Double-A. In the month of April, the 23-year-old posted a 1.120 OPS with 11 XBH in 16 games. He also added 6 SB and led the system in RBIs with 19. Great start for him.
PITCHER: Rhett Kouba, RHP
- April Stats: 4 G, 3.12 ERA, 17.1 IP, 15 H, 6 ER, 4 BB, 25 SO
Kouba continues to fly under the radar but he had a dominant month of April. The right-hander had a 3.12 ERA with 4 BB/25 K in 17.1 innings for the Hooks.
A+: Asheville Tourists
HITTER: Zach Dezenzo, INF
- April Stats: 16 G, .370 BA/.463 OBP/.630 SLG, 6 2B, 3B, 2 HR, 11 RBI, 2 SB
Dezenzo put together a strong month of April. The 12th round pick in 2022 hit .370 with 11 RBI and 9 XBH in 16 games. He was seen as a steal in the draft and he is looking like it right now.
PITCHER: Peyton Plumlee, RHP
- April Stats: 3 G, 3.00 ERA, 12.0 IP, 14 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 19 K
Plumlee was one of the bright spots on the staff in April. The right-hander posted a really good walk to strikeout ratio with 3 BB/19K in 12 innings during the month.
A: Fayetteville Woodpeckers
HITTER: Ryan Clifford, OF
- April Stats: 19 G, .333 BA/.489 OBP/.493 SLG, 5 2B, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 2 SB
Clifford got off to a nice start this season posting a .982 OPS in April. The 19-year-old also drew 19 walks (.489 OBP) while connecting on 5 doubles and 2 HR.
PITCHER: Michael Knorr, RHP
- April Stats: 4 G, 2.60 ERA, 17.1 IP, 13 H, 5 ER, 7 BB, 24 K
Knorr put together a strong month for the Woodpeckers striking out 24 over 17.1 innings. The 3rd round pick overmatched Single-A hitters and I don’t think he will be in Fayetteville much longer.