Houston Astros MiLB Players Of The Month: September
Let’s take a look at the best performances in the Astros system in September. Since it is the last month of the year, I added a few extra.
*Just a note, these are my picks for the month*
AAA: Sugar Land Skeeters
HITTER: Jeremy Pena, SS
- September Stats: 24 G, .347 BA/.410 OBP/.716 SLG, 4 2B, 2 3B, 9 HR, 18 RBI, 3 SB, 170 wRC+
Pena got a late start to the season due to the wrist injury, but he made up for some lost time putting together an incredible month of September which saw him hit .347 with 9 HR in 24 games. This included a game where he hit 3 HR, one of which was a walk-off. A great finish to his 2021 season.
PITCHER: Hunter Brown, RHP
- September Stats: 5 G, 2.66 ERA, 23.2 IP, 21 H, 7 ER, 8 BB, 26 SO, 9.8 K/9
Brown has been solid all season but he put up a great month of September to close the season. The right hander struck out 26 over 23.2 innings with a 2.66 ERA. He will definitely be in consideration for a call-up at some point next season.
PITCHER: Shawn Dubin, RHP
- September Stats: 5 G, 1.20 ERA, 15.0 IP, 9 H, 2 ER, 7 BB, 22 SO, 37.3 K%
I couldn’t limit this to one with the performance of Dubin too. The righty struck out 22 over 15 innings while flashing his plus fastball. He looks like a guy who can be an impact reliever at the big league level, and she showed that off in September.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: David Hensley, INF
- September Stats: 13 G, .392 BA/.492 OBP/.627 SLG, 6 2B, 2 HR, 10 RBI, 198 wRC+
Hensley put up one of the better months this season in September hitting .392 with a .492 OBP (198 wRC+). Overall he hit .293 this season while playing all over the infield. Great infield depth for the Astros to have as he moves up to AAA next season.
PITCHER: Brandon Lawson, RHP
- September Stats: 3 G, 0.47 ERA, 19.0 IP, 13 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 10 SO
Lawson had a great September limited opponents to just 1 earned run in 19 innings. The right hander quietly put together a solid season in AA posting a 4.15 ERA, but closing the season strong.
PITCHER: Jonathan Sprinkle, RHP
- September Stats: 4 G, 0.00 ERA, 7.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 9 SO
Sprinkle put up some gaudy numbers this year but struggled a little with walks early. He finished the year strong in Corpus Christi though as he didn’t allow an earned run in 7.2 innings while striking out 9.
A+: Asheville Tourists
HITTER: Yainer Diaz, C
- September Stats: 15 G, .377 BA/.424 OBP/.721 SLG, 3 2B, 6 HR, 20 RBI, 198 wRC+
Another great month here. Diaz destroyed High-A pitching to the tune of .377 with a 198 wRC+. Some thought maybe he was a throw-in to the Straw deal but he wasn’t, he is a legit prospect and one that will be fun to watch next year.
HITTER: Shay Whitcomb, INF
- September Stats: 13 G, .352 BA/.390 OBP/.741 SLG, 6 2B, 5 HR, 16 RBI, 3 SB, 187 wRC+
Whitcomb caught fire over the last couple of months to end the season, including a dominant September where he had 11 XBH and 16 RBI in just 13 games. Overall he had 23 HR, 30 SB in a breakout 2021 season for him.
HITTER: Wilyer Abreu, OF
- September Stats: 15 G, .368 BA/.429 OBP/.860 SLG, 5 2B, 3B, 7 HR, 17 RBI, 226 wRC+
Another great offensive performance for Asheville. Abreu posted a 226 wRC+ with 7 HR, 17 RBI in just 15 games in September to close out a strong 2021 campaign for him.
PITCHER: Diosmerky Taveras, RHP
- September Stats: 3 G, 1.32 ERA, 13.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 19 K, 37.3 K%
Tavares had good strikeout numbers in Fayetteville but he dominated in Asheville in September posting a 1.32 ERA with a 37.3 K%. The right hander finished the season striking out 95 in 78.1 innings in 2021.
A: Fayetteville Woodpeckers
HITTER: Jordan Brewer, OF
- September Stats: 9 G, .459 BA/.535 OBP/.784 SLG, 3 2B, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 4 SB, 246 wRC+
Brewer struggled early but had an insane September where he hit .459 with 3 2B, 3 HR in just 9 games. This was a strong way for the tools outfielder to finish out the season as he hit .275 with 6 HR, 21 SB in 2021.
HITTER: Will Wagner, INF
- September Stats: 14 G, .370 BA/.460 OBP/.556 SLG, 5 2B, 1 HR, 10 RBI, 3 SB, 176 wRC+
Billy Wagner‘s son had a great September as well hitting .370 with a .460 OBP and 10 RBI in 14 games in September. The infielder finished his first taste of pro ball hitting .310 with a .851 OPS.
PITCHER: Rhett Kouba, RHP
- September Stats: 4 G, 1.35 ERA, 13.1 IP, 11 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 13 K
Kouba put up a great month of September to close out his first professional season posting a 1.35 ERA with 13 K in 13.1 innings. A good performance for him to build on in 2022.
**Photo Credit: Ken Valliere**