Houston Astros MiLB Players Of The Month: July
Let’s take a look at the best performances in the Astros system in June.
*Just a note, these are my picks for the month*
AAA: Sugar Land Skeeters
HITTER: Jake Meyers, OF
- July Stats: 25 G, .365 BA/.427 OBP/.552 SLG, 8 2B, 2 3B, 2 HR, 20 RBI, 5 SB, 142 wRC+
Meyers was great in June and great again in July hitting .365 in 25 games. While his HR total went down, he still had 8 2B, 2 3B and 5 Sb to go along with the 2 HR. His hot hitting recently earned him a promotion to the Astros.
PITCHER: J.P. France, RHP
- July Stats: 5 G, 2.39 ERA, 26.1 IP, 17 H, 7 ER, 12 BB, 29 SO
Another repeat here, France was even better in July than he was in June. In 26.1 innings, he struck out 29 and had a 2.39 ERA. He also held hitters to just a .175 BAA and picked up 3 wins in the 5 games he pitched in.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: Marty Costes, OF
- July Stats: 19 G, .344 BA/.417 OBP/.391 SLG, 3 2B, 6 RBI, 3 SB, 127 wRC+
Costes has been consistent all season hitting .365 in May, .304 in June and now .344 in July. While he didn’t hit for much power in the month, he got on base at a .417 clop and had a 127 wRC+.
PITCHER: Parker Mushinski, LHP
- July Stats: 6 G, 1.69 ERA, 21.1 IP, 18 H, 4 ER, 6 BB, 26 SO, 29.2 K%
Mushinski was drafted back in 2017 and has been moving his way up since. In July, he put together his best season of the month posting a 1.69 ERA with 26 K in 21.1 innings while walking just 6.
A+: Asheville Tourists
HITTER: Shay Whitcomb, INF
- July Stats: 23 G, .278 BA/.323 OBP/.633 SLG, 8 2B, 8 HR, 21 RBI, 7 SB, 150 wRC+
Whitcomb was the Astros 5th round pick in 2020 and signed for just $56,000. He has put together a good season including a hot July which saw him post a 150 wRC+. He has shown plenty of power and speed with the 8 HR/7 SB in July. He now has 15 HR/21 SB overall in 2021.
PITCHER: R.J. Freure, RHP
- July Stats: 5 G, 3.38 ERA, 24.0 IP, 14 H, 9 ER, 10 BB, 35 K, 36.1 K%
Freure struggled early in the season but put together a really good month of July where he had a 3.38 ERA with 35 K in 24 innings. He also held hitters to just a .165 BAA.
A: Fayetteville Woodpeckers
HITTER: Justin Dirden, OF
- July Stats: 23 G, .295 BA/.446 OBP/.628 SLG, 4 2B, 2 3B, 6 HR, 19 RBI, 4 SB. 183 wRC+
Dirden has slowly been heating up and he put it all together in July posting a 183 wRC+. He also had a 17.8 BB%, 21.8 K% and had 12 XBHs. Overall this season he has a .936 OPS.
PITCHER: Julio Robaina, LHP
- July Stats: 5 G, 2.38 ERA, 22.0 IP, 20 H, 6 ER, 6 BB, 18 K
Robaina had a really good July posting a 2.38 ERA. He held opponents to just a .591 OPS while striking out 18 in 22 innings for the Woodpeckers.
**Photo Credit: Ken Valliere**