Astros Minor League Recap: April 10th, 2019
Another day of minor league action in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Round Rock Express (4-3) won 9-5 (BOX SCORE)
Rodgers made his second start of the season and pitched really well allowing just 1 run over 6 innings. Straw tied the game up at 1 in the 3rd inning on an RBI single. Alvarez gave the Express the lead in the 5th with an RBI double. After Nashville tied it up in the top of the 8th, Alvarez broke the tie with a 3 run HR in the bottom of the inning, his 5th HR of the season. Deetz came into the 9th inning with a three run lead but allowed 3 runs to score without retiring a batter. The game would go to the bottom of the 10th and after walks to Alvarez and Tucker (runner started at 2nd), the bases were loaded for Round Rock. Tanielu sent the fans home happy connecting on a walk-off grand slam to win 9-5.
Note: Alvarez has 5 HR, 10 RBI and a 1.630 OPS in 7 games this season.
- Myles Straw, CF: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI, BB
- Derek Fisher, RF: 1-for-4, R, BB
- Jack Mayfield, 2B: 2-for-5, 3 R
- Yordan Alvarez, 1B: 3-for-4, 2 R, 2 2B, HR, 4 RBI, BB
- Kyle Tucker, LF: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Nick Tanielu, 3B: 1-for-4, R, HR, 4 RBI, BB
- Drew Ferguson, DH: 0-for-3, R, SB
- Brady Rodgers, RHP: 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
- Reymin Guduan, LHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Dean Deetz, RHP: 0.0 IP, 1 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K (WIN)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (3-4) lost 10-5 (BOX SCORE)
Another rough night for the Hookls pitching staff. LaRue got the start and was decent striking out 6 over 4.1 innings while allowing 2 runs. He was relieved by Scheetz who allowed 2 runs in his 1.2 innings of work. Goetzman put the Hooks on the board with a solo HR in the 2nd. In the 7th, the Hooks rallied to tie the game scoring 3 runs on McCormick, Wrenn, and Toro RBI singles. Ferrell came in to pitch the 8th and really struggled allowing 6 runs. Rojas would add an RBI single in the 9th but it wasn’t nearly enough as they dropped this one 10-5.
Note: LaRue has 12 K in 9.1 innings this season.
- Chas McCormick, LF: 1-for-4, R, RBI, BB
- Stephen Wrenn, CF: 1-for-5, RBI
- Abraham Toro, 3B: 2-for-4, R, RBI, BB
- Granden Goetzman, RF: 2-for-5, R, HR, RBI
- Josh Rojas, 2B: 1-for-3, RBI, 2 BB, SB
- Lorenzo Quintana, DH: 2-for-4, R
- Osvaldo Duarte, SS: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Carson LaRue, RHP: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
- Kit Scheetz, LHP: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Justin Ferrell, RHP: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
- Ronel Blanco, RHP: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
A+: Fayetteville Woodpeckers (4-3) won 11-8 (BOX SCORE)
Mushinski started for Fayetteville and allowed 4 runs over 3.1 innings. He was relieved by Feldmann who allowed 4 runs, 2 earned over his 1.2 innings. The Woodpeckers were down 8-0 going into the 6th but they rallied to score 7 runs on a Beer RBI walk, De La Cruz RBI walk, Taylor RBI walk, Sierra 2 run double and Arauz 2 run single. They would take the lead in the 7th on a Taylor grand slam. Sanabria and Rosado combined to toss 4 scoreless innings to close it out.
Note: De La Cruz is hitting .364 in five games this season.
- Jake Meyers, CF: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Corey Julks, DH: 3-for-4, 2 R, BB
- Seth Beer, 1B: 0-for-4, R, RBI, BB
- Scott Manea, C: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Bryan De La Cruz, RF: 2-for-4, 2 R, RBI, BB
- Chandler Taylor, LF: 1-for-3, 2 R, HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB
- Miguelangel Sierra, SS: 1-for-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Jonathan Arauz, 3B: 1-for-5, 2 RBI
- Alfredo Angarita, 2B: 1-for-3, R, 2B
- Parker Mushinski, LHP: 3.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- Brendan Feldmann, RHP: 1.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Carlos Sanabria, RHP: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K (WIN)
- Cesar Rosado, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (4-3) won 7-4 (BOX SCORE)
Another dominant strikeout performance. Rodriguez started and went 5 innings allowing 3 runs, 2 earned, while striking out 8. Schreiber put the River Bandits on the board in the first with a 2 run double. In the 3rd inning, Schreiber scored the 3rd run for QC after stealing 2nd and scoring on an error. Castellanos relieved Rodriguez and struck out 6 over 3 innings while allowing 1 run. The River Bandits entered the 9th down 4-3n but rallied to score 4 runs on an Adolph RBI single, Valdez 2 run single, and Salazar RBI groundout. Conn closed out the game with a perfect 9th.
Note: Schreiber is hitting .348 in 7 games this season.
- Ross Adolph, CF: 1-for-5, R, RBI
- Jeremy Pena, DH: 1-for-4, 2 R, BB
- Enmanuel Valdez, 2B: 2-for-5, R, 2 RBI
- Cesar Salazar, C: 1-for-5, RBI
- Scott Schreiber, 1B: 1-for-3, R, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB, SB
- David Hensley, 3B: 2-for-4
- Andy Pineda, LF: 2-for-2, R, 2 BB
- Trey Dawson, SS: 1-for-4, R
- Nivaldo Rodriguez, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 8 K
- Humberto Castellanos, RHP: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (WIN)
- Devin Conn, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
RR: TBD (-.– ERA)
CC: Brett Adcock (16.88 ERA)
FV: Yohan Ramirez (6.00 ERA)
QC: Cody Deason (16.20 ERA)
Be sure to subscribe to receive weekly updates on the Astros minor league system. Also be sure to follow on Twitter,@AstrosFuture, and like my Facebook page: facebook.com/AstrosFuture.
**Photo Credit: Andy Nietupski/Round Rock Express**