Astros Minor League Recap: May 2nd, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (11-15) lost 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
Holmes got the start for the Grizzlies and struggled allowing 5 runs over 3.1 innings pitched. Fresno got on the board in the 2nd inning on a 2 run single from Aplin. They would get two more back in the 5th on a Brignac 2 run HR to make it 5-4. The bullpen was solid not allowing any runs but the offense wasn’t able to get anything else going.
Note: Fisher is hitting .313 with 4 HR, 10 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Derek Fisher, CF: 2-for-5, 2B
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 1-for-4, R
- Tyler White, 3B: 3-for-4, 2 R, BB
- Andrew Aplin, CF: 2-for-2, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Reid Brignac, SS: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Brian Holmes, LHP: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
- Kevin Comer, RHP: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Tyson Perez, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Dayan Diaz, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (15-10) lost 6-1 (BOX SCORE)
Armenteros was on the mound but had his first rough start of the season going 3.2 innings allowing 7 hits and 2 runs. The Corpus offense was quiet not scoring until the 9th inning on a Muniz RBI single. James tossed 3 innings in relief allowing 1 run but that was about the most notable performance of the night as they fell 6-1.
Note: Muniz has 8 hits in his last 4 games.
- Drew Ferguson, LF: 2-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI, SB
- Ramon Laureano, CF: 2-for-4, R, SB
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 1-for-4, R
- Trent Woodward, C: 1-for-2, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- Bryan Muniz, 1B: 1-for-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Rogelio Armenteros, RHP: 3.2 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Eric Peterson, RHP: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Joshua James, RHP: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (18-8) won 4-3 (BOX SCORE)
It took 12 innings but Buies Creek was able to take the win. Bower started and pitched well allowing 1 run over 5 innings of work. The Astros got on the board in the 1st inning on a sac fly from Tucker. The game would stay tied 1-1 until the 8th where Buies Creek put up 2 runs on a Michelena RBI triple and McCall RBI single. Deemes came in for the save but allowed 2 runs in the 9th. In the 12th inning, Tucker connected on a solo HR, his 4th HR of the season. Hernandez got two outs in the bottom of the inning picking up the save.
Note: Tucker has 15 XBH in 25 games this season.
- Jason Martin, LF: 1-for-4, R
- Myles Straw, CF: 1-for-5, BB
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 1-for-5, RBI, BB
- Pat Porter, DH: 1-for-4, 2B, BB
- Osvaldo Duarte, SS: 1-for-4, R, 3B, BB
- Arturo Michelena, 3B: 1-for-4, R, 3B, RBI, BB
- Matt Bower, LHP: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Carlos Sierra, RHP: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Ryan Deemes, RHP: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K (WIN)
- Nick Hernandez, RHP: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (13-10) won 9-5 (BOX SCORE)
After a 3 day layoff, Quad Cities came back with a win. Paredes got the start and allowed 2 runs in the first inning but finished going 5 innings with 8 strikeouts allowing just the 2 runs. Quad Cities tied it up in the bottom of the 2nd on back to back homers from Rogers and Ayarza. The River Bandits temporarily took the lead on a sac fly from Ayarza in the 6th. The bullpen gave up 3 in the 7th but the River Bandits responded with 3 of their own on a Cesar bases loaded walk and Rogers 2 run single. They played add on with 3 in the 8th with 1 scoring on an error, 1 on a Wrenn RBI single, and one on a Cesar RBI double. The bullpen locked down the final two innings to wrap up the win.
Note: Cesar has 3 HR, 13 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 1-for-3, R, 2B, BB
- Stephen Wrenn, DH: 2-for-5, 2 R, RBI
- Alex DeGoti, SS: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 2-for-3, R, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Jake Rogers, C: 3-for-5, R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
- Rodrigo Ayarza, 2B: 1-for-2, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Carmen Benedetti, RF: 1-for-2, 2 R, 2 BB
- Enoli Paredes, RHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 8 K
- Ryan Hartman, LHP: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- Erasmo Pinales, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
CC: Brock Dykxhoorn (5.63 ERA)
BC: Yoanys Quiala (2.04 ERA)
QC: Carson LaRue (0.90 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Richard Guill**