Astros Minor League Recap: July 14th, 2019
Another day of minor league action in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Round Rock Express (55-39) won 10-8 (BOX SCORE)
Bielak got the start and went 6 innings allowing 4 runs. Fisher put the Express on the board in the first inning with a 3 run HR. In the 5th, Mayfield add a solo HR. The Express took the lead in the 7th on a De Goti 2 run single and got another run in the 8th on a Mayfield sac fly. Iowa came back to take the lead scoring 4 runs in the final 2 innings. The Express entered the bottom of the 9th down 8-7. With two guys on, Rojas connected on a 3 run walk-off HR to win it 10-8.
Note: Rojas is hitting .410 with 2 HR, 8 RBI, 6 SB over his last 10 games.
- Joshua Rojas, 3B: 3-for-6, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI, SB
- Jack Mayfield, SS: 3-for-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- Derek Fisher, RF: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 1-for-4, R, BB
- Kyle Tucker, LF: 0-for-2, 3 BB, SB
- Alex De Goti, 2B: 1-for-5, 2 RBI
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 1-for-4, BB, SB
- Jamie Ritchie, DH: 2-for-4, 2 R, BB
- Brandon Bielak, RHP: 6.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 2 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Felipe Paulino, RHP: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Reymin Guduan, LHP: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (WIN)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (44-49) won 13-1 (BOX SCORE)
Matijevic got the scoring started early for the Hooks with a 2 run double in the first inning. In the 3rd inning, the Hooks put together an incredible 2 out rally with a Beer solo HR, Matijevic RBI single, Shaver 2 run HR, Sierra RBI single and De La Cruz RBI single. Adcock got the start and went 3.2 innings allowing 1 run. He was relieved by Ramirez who tossed 3.1 scoreless innings in relief. Shaver added an RBI single in the 7th and Quintana added a grand slam in the 8th to make it 13-1. Hernandez and Sanabria both had scoreless outings to close it out.
Note: Beer is hitting .474 with 4 HR, 9 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Bryan De La Cruz, RF: 2-for-6, R, RBI
- Abraham Toro, 3B: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Seth Beer, DH: 3-for-5, 3 R, HR, RBI
- Lorenzo Quintana, 1B: 3-for-5, 3 R, 2B, HR, 4 RBI
- J.J. Matijevic, LF: 3-for-5, 2 R, 2B, 3B, 3 RBI
- Colton Shaver, C: 2-for-5, R, HR, 3 RBI
- Stephen Wrenn, CF: 2-for-5, R
- Osvaldo Duarte, SS: 2-for-5, R
- Anibal Sierra, 2B: 1-for-5, RBI
- Brett Adcock, LHP: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Yohan Ramirez, RHP: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K (WIN)
- Nick Hernandez, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Carlos Sanabria, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
A+: Fayetteville Woodpeckers (43-50) won 3-1 (BOX SCORE)
Dubin got the start for the Woodpeckers and went 5 innings allowing 1 run. Julks put them on the board in the 3rd with an RBI single. Conine relieved Dubin and tossed 3.2 scoreless innings with 8 strikeouts. The game went into the 8th tied 1-1 but the Woodpeckers took the lead on an Adams RBI double and Papierski RBI single. Rosado came in and got the last out for the save.
Note: Conine has a 2.24 ERA with 104 K in 80.1 innings this season.
- Jake Meyers, CF: 1-for-3, R, 2B
- Corey Julks, LF: 1-for-3, RBI, BB
- Jake Adams, 1B: 1-for-4, R, 2B, RBI
- Ross Adolph, RF: 1-for-2, 2 BB
- Michael Papierski, DH: 2-for-4, RBI
- Miguelangel Sierra, 2B: 1-for-3, R
- Shawn Dubin, RHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Brett Conine, RHP: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K (WIN)
- Cesar Rosado, RHP: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (56-32) won 6-4 (BOX SCORE)
Rivera got the start and went 6 innings allowing 2 runs. The River Bandits jumped out to a big lead in the 4th scoring 5 runs on a Nova RBI double, Holderbach RBI groundout, Lacroix RBI groundout, Rodriguez RBI double and McKenna RBI double. Rodriguez added an RBI single in the 6th to make it 6-2. De Paula allowed 2 runs in relief but Conn was able to pick up the save with a scoreless 9th inning.
Note: Nova is hitting .319 with 8 2B in 11 games in July.
- Austin Dennis, 3B: 0-for-3, R, 2 BB
- Ramiro Rodriguez, RF: 3-for-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Alex McKenna, CF: 1-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Grae Kessinger, SS: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Cesar Salazar, 1B: 1-for-4, R
- Freudis Nova, 2B: 3-for-4, R, 2B, RBI
- Alex Holderbach, DH: 1-for-4, RBI
- Jonathan Lacroix, LF: 1-for-3, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- Jose Rivera, RHP: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 K (WIN)
- Luis De Paula, RHP: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
- Devin Conn, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
A-: Tri-City ValleyCats (12-16) won 6-4 (BOX SCORE)
Note: Bellozo has a 1.46 ERA with 7 BB/29 K in 24.2 innings this season.
- Juan Paulino, 2B: 2-for-5, R, RBI
- Bryan Arias, SS: 1-for-4, R
- Nathan Perry, C: 2-for-3, R, 2 2B, 2 BB
- Korey Lee, DH: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
- Preston Pavlica, CF: 2-for-5, RBI
- Wilyer Abreu, RF: 2-for-3, R, BB
- E.P. Reese, LF: 2-for-4, RBI, SB
- Valente Bellozo, RHP: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Jairo Lopez, RHP: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K (WIN)
- Yeremi Ceballos, LHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
RR: Jose Urquidy (2.89 ERA) – 7:05 PM CT
FV: Austin Hansen (4.62 ERA)- 6:00 PM CT
QC: Felipe Tejada (2.87 ERA) – 12:05 PM CT
TC: Hunter Brown (3.18 ERA) – 6:05 PM CT
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**