Astros Minor League Recap: May 16th, 2019
Another day of minor league action in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Round Rock Express (25-14) won 10-4 (BOX SCORE)
Alvarez is unbelievable right now. He got the game started off right connecting on a 3 run HR in the first inning, but he wasn’t done. Hernandez made his AAA debut and pitched well allowing 3 runs over 5 innings but had 0 BB/8 K. In the 5th, Alvarez hit another HR, this time a solo shot, giving him 17 on the year. The Express would play add on after that getting a Fisher RBI single in the 6th and Reed 2 run HR in the 7th. They added 3 more runs in the 8th with an Alvarez 2 run double and Mayfield sac fly. The bullpen was able to close it out allowing 1 run in 4 innings.
Note: Alvarez is hitting .410 with 17 HR, 53 RBI in 36 games this season.
- Alex De Goti, 2B: 2-for-4, 2 R
- Derek Fisher, CF: 3-for-5, R, RBI
- Myles Straw, SS: 1-for-5, R, SB
- Yordan Alvarez, LF: 3-for-5, 3 R, 2B, 2 HR, 6 RBI
- Jack Mayfield, 3B: 1-for-3, R, RBI, BB, SB
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 0-for-3, 2 BB, SB
- AJ Reed, 1B: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 1-for-3, R, 2B, BB
- Jose Hernandez, RHP: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 8 K (WIN)
- Kent Emanuel, LHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
- Ronel Blanco, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (19-20) lost 6-2 (BOX SCORE)
Adcock got the start and was solid allowing 2 runs over 5 innings of work. The Hooks offense was pretty quiet but Toro tied the game in the 7th with a 2 run HR. Javier made his AA debut and struggled allowing 4 runs on 4 hits and 4 walks in 2 innings. The offense was unable to mount a comeback.
Note: Toro is hitting .387 with 3 HR, 10 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Stephen Wrenn, RF: 0-for-3, R, BB, SB
- Abraham Toro, 3B: 2-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Joshua Rojas, 1B: 1-for-4, 2B
- Carmen Benedetti, DH: 2-for-3, 2B
- Brett Adcock, LHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 1 K
- Cristian Javier, RHP: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 0 K
- Kit Scheetz, LHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
A+: Fayetteville Woodpeckers (19-21) won 6-0 (BOX SCORE)
Rodriguez made his debut for the Woodpeckers last night tossing 4 scoreless innings. The Woodpeckers scored their first run in the first inning on a Manea RBI HBP. Shaver added an RBI double in the 3rd. They got some insurance in the 6th scoring 4 runs on a Meyers 3 run HR and a run scoring on an error. Paredes tossed 4 scoreless in relief and Duncan closed it out with a scoreless 9th.
Note: Meyers is hitting .317 with 3 HR, 9 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Alfredo Angarita, LF: 0-for-3, R, RBI, BB
- Jake Meyers, CF: 3-for-5, 2 R, 3B, HR, 3 RBI
- Jake Adams, 1B: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Colton Shaver, 3B: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI, BB
- Corey Julks, RF: 1-for-3, BB
- Scott Manea, C: 0-for-1, RBI
- Michael Papierski, DH: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Miguelangel Sierra, SS: 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Nivaldo Rodriguez, RHP: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
- Enoli Paredes, RHP: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K (WIN)
- Tanner Duncan, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (24-12) won 21-1 (BOX SCORE)
Torres started and allowed 1 run over 5 innings while striking out 7. The offense came to play though putting together their best game of the season. Costes put them on the board in the 3rd with an RBI single but then they exploded in the 4th for 9 runs. In that inning they got a Dennis RBI walk, Pena 2 run double, Costes 2 run double, Dawson HBP, a wild pitch and an RBI groundout. They got 2 more in the 5th on a Schreiber RBI single and another RBI groundout. Pena added a solo HR in the 6th and Schreiber added a 2 run HR in the 7th. They capped the game with 6 in the 9th on a Schreiber 2 run double, Costes 3 run single, and Wielansky solo HR. Hansen and Bermudez tossed scoreless outings in relief.
Note: Pena is hitting .467 with 2 HR, 8 RBI over his last 8 games.
- Austin Dennis, RF: 0-for-4, R, RBI
- Jeremy Pena, SS: 3-for-5, 4 R, 2B, 3B, HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB
- Scott Schreiber, 1B: 3-for-4, 4 R, 2B, 3 RBI, 3 BB
- Marty Costes, LF: 3-for-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 7 RBI, 2 BB
- David Hensley, DH: 2-for-6, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Alex Holderbach, C: 0-for-6, R, BB
- Trey Dawson, 2B: 1-for-2, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB
- Ross Adolph, CF: 0-for-3, 3 R, BB
- Michael Wielansky, 3B: 1-for-5, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Jojanse Torres, RHP: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K (WIN)
- Austin Hansen, RHP: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Jonathan Bermudez, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
RR: Cy Sneed (5.72 ERA) – 7:05 PM CT
CC: Tyler Ivey (0.86 ERA) – 7:00 PM CT
FV: J.P. France (4.55 ERA) – 6:00 PM CT
QC: Jose Bravo (-.– ERA) – 6:35 PM CT
**Photo Credit: Andy Nietupski/Round Rock Express**