Astros Minor League Recap: April 13th, 2019
Another day of minor league action in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Round Rock Express (6-4) lost 9-4 (BOX SCORE)
Perez started for the Express but only last 2 innings, though he didn’t allow a run. He was relieved by McCurry who struggled allowing 5 runs over 2.1 innings. The Express got on the board in the 3rd with a 2 run single from Mayfield. In the 4th, Stubbs added an RBI single to their lead. The 5th inning is where things went south. The Redbirds scored 8 runs, including 4 off of Emanuel. In the bottom half, Alvarez connected on a 485 foot blast to RF for his 6th HR. Unfortunately they were unable to score again.
Note: Alvarez has 6 HR and 1.000 SLG in 9 games this season.
- Myles Straw, SS: 1-for-5, R, BB, SB
- Jack Mayfield, 2B: 2-for-4, 2 RBI
- Yordan Alvarez, LF: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI, BB
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 1-for-4, BB
- Taylor Jones, DH: 1-for-3, 2B, BB
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 2-for-3, R, RBI, BB
- Cionel Perez, LHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 2.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Kent Emanuel, LHP: 3.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Dean Deetz, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (3-7) lost 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
Bielak got the start for the Hooks and was solid allowing just 2 runs over 5 innings of work. The Hooks scored first on a first inning solo HR from Toro. They entered the 8th down 3-1 but took a 4-3 lead when Rojas had a bases clearing, 3 run double. Bukauskas relieved Bielak and struggled allowing 3 runs over 3 innings of work. 2 of those runs came in the bottom of the 8th, and was the eventual game winning run.
Note: Rojas is hitting .280 with 8 RBI in 7 games this season.
- Stephen Wrenn, DH: 1-for-4, R, BB
- Abraham Toro, 3B: 1-for-5, R, HR, RBI
- Granden Goetzman, RF: 2-for-4, R, BB
- Joshua Rojas, 2B: 1-for-4, 2B, 3 RBI
- J.J. Matijevic, 1B: 3-for-4, 2B, SB
- Anibal Sierra. SS: 1-for-4, R
- Brandon Bielak, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
- J.B. Bukauskas, RHP: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 4 K
A+: Fayetteville Woodpeckers (6-4) won 6-4 (BOX SCORE)
Solomon got the start for the Woodpeckers and tossed 3 scoreless innings but threw 62 pitches during his outing. Julks got the scoring started with a solo HR in the 4th, his first HR of the season. They picked up another run in the 5th when Papierski scored on an error. The Woodpeckers added on some insurance in the 8th scoring 3 runs on a Manea RBI single, Shaver RBI double, and Arauz RBI double. The Pelicans picked up 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th but DeJuneas was able to get the final out and hold on for the win.
Note: Solomon has 14 K in 7.2 innings this season.
- Corey Julks, LF: 2-for-5, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI
- Seth Beer, 1B: 1-for-4, R, BB
- Scott Manea, DH: 1-for-4, RBI
- Colton Shaver, DH: 1-for-3, R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB
- Jonathan Arauz, SS: 3-for-4, R, 2 2B, RBI
- Michael Papierski, C: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Peter Solomon, RHP: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- Cesar Rosado, RHP: 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 3 K (WIN)
- Joey Gonzalez, RHP: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Tommy DeJuneas, RHP: 0.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (6-3) won 6-1 (BOX SCORE)
Another dominant pitching performance for the River Bandits. Conine got the start and allowed 1 run over 6 innings while striking out 6. The River Bandits picked up one run in the first on an error and a three runs in the 3rd on a Dawson RBI single and Pena 2 run single. They would get two more runs on a Schreiber walk and Lacroix RBI double. Ruppenthal closed it out with 3 scoreless innings and 6 strikeouts picking up the save.
Note: Ruppenthal has 11 K in 6 innings so far this season.
- Trey Dawson, 2B: 1-for-5, R, RBI
- Enmanuel Valdez, DH: 2-for-5, 2 R, 2 2B
- Jeremy Pena, SS: 2-for-4, R, 2 RBI, BB, SB
- Scott Schreiber, RF: 2-for-4, R
- Jonathan Lacroix, LF: 1-for-5, 2B, RBI
- Austin Dennis, 3B: 1-for-4, R, 3B
- Brett Conine, RHP: 6.10IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K (WIN)
- Matt Ruppenthal, RHP: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (SAVE)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
RR: Rogelio Armenteros (1.69 ERA)
CC: TBD (-.– ERA)
FV: Cristian Javier (0.00 ERA)
QC: Mark Moclair (5.40 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Joe Dwyer**