Astros Minor League Recap: July 7th, 2018
Another day of minor league baseball in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (52-37)
Game 1 – lost 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
James started and only last three innings. While he didn’t give up a hit, he still allowed a run and walked 4. Fresno first got on the board in the 4th on a Mayfield RBI double. Guduan came in to pitch the last couple innings and allowed 4 runs in the 6th as Las Vegas took the lead. Fresno tried to rally getting 3 runs on a Mayfield RBI single, Tanielu RBI double, and Fisher RBI groundout. Unfortunately they came up short as they lost 5-4.
- Derek Fisher, RF: 1-for-4, RBI
- Taylor Jones, DH: 0-for-2, 2 R, BB
- Yordan Alvarez, LF: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 1-for-2, 2B
- Nick Tanielu, 3B: 2-for-3, 2B, RBI
- Jack Mayfield, SS: 2-for-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Josh James, RHP: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
- Trent Thornton, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Reymin Guduan, LHP: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
Game 2 – won 2-1 (BOX SCORE)
Dykxhoorn started game 2 for the Grizzlies and was very good as he struck out 7 over 5.2 innings. Fresno picked up 2 runs in the 3rd inning on a Reed 2 run single. Dykxhoorn was relieved by McCurry who closed out the game with 1.1 scoreless innings to pick up the save.
- Myles Straw, RF: 0-for-3, R, SB
- AJ Reed, DH: 1-for-3, 2 RBI
- Jack Mayfield, 3B: 2-for-3, 2B
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 0-for-1, R, BB, SB
- Brock Dykxhoorn, RHP: 5.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (55-30) won 4-0 (BOX SCORE)
Martin started for the Hooks and continued his dominance this season tossing 5 scoreless innings. The Hooks scored on four of their runs in the first inning on a 2 run double from Rojas and a 2 run single from Quintana. Valdez closed it out striking out 6 over the final 4 innings to pick up the save.
Note: Martin lowered his season ERA to 1.85 with 65 K in 68 IP.
- Andy Pineda, LF: 1-for-4, R
- Stephen Wrenn, CF: 1-for-4, R
- Josh Rojas, RF: 1-for-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Abraham Toro, 3B: 0-for-2, R, 2 BB
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 0-for-1, 3 BB, SB
- Lorenzo Quintana, C: 1-for-3, 2 RBI
- Corbin Martin, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K (WIN)
- Framber Valdez, LHP: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (SAVE)
A+: Buies Creek Astros (49-37) lost 4-2 (BOX SCORE)
Adcock started for Buies Creek and pitched well allowing just 1 hit in 5 scoreless innings. Buies Creek got on the board first getting 2 runs in the 3rd inning on a Meyers 2 run single. Perez relieved Adcock and allowed 3 runs on 3 hits in his 3 innings of work. Myrtle Beach picked up another run off of Bleday in the 9th and the Astros were unable to rally.
Note: Adcock has a 2.66 ERA with 63 K in 64.1 innings.
- Ronnie Dawson, CF: 1-for-3, BB
- Cody Bohanek, 2B: 0-for-2, 2 BB
- Carlos Canelon, C: 1-for-4, R
- Jonathan Arauz, SS: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Jake Meyers, RF: 1-for-2, 2 RBI, BB
- Brett Adcock, LHP: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Hector Perez, RHP: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- Adam Bleday, LHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (47-39) lost 6-4 (BOX SCORE)
Quad Cities got on the board first scoring 3 runs in the 5th inning on a Costes 2 run triple and Beer RBI single. They would get another run in the 6th on a Castro RBI single. Rosado started for Quad Cities and was really pitching well until he allowed 3 runs in the 7th. Overall he struck out 12 in 6.2 innings. Quad Cities took a 4-3 lead to the 9th but weren’t able to hold it with Castellanos allowed 3 runs and Duncan allowing another as they lost 6-4.
Note: Beer is hitting .347 with 4 HR, 15 RBI in 21 games this season.
- Marty Costes, DH: 1-for-4, R, 3B, 2 RBI
- Seth Beer, LF: 3-for-5, RBI, SB
- Colton Shaver, 3B: 1-for-1, 3 BB
- David Hensley, SS: 0-for-3, R, BB, SB
- Scott Schreiber, 1B: 1-for-4, R
- Ruben Castro, C: 1-for-2, R, RBI, BB
- Cesar Rosado, LHP: 6.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 12 K
- Humberto Castellanos, RHP: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Carlos Sanabria, RHP: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
A-: Tri-City ValleyCats (12-10) won 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
- Jeremy Pena, 2B: 3-for-5, R
- Trey Dawson, 3B: 2-for-4, RBI, BB, SB
- Gilberto Celestino, RF: 2-for-5, R, RBI
- Cesar Salazar, C: 1-for-5, RBI
- Michael Wielansky, 2B: 0-for-2, 2 R, 2 BB
- Alex Holderbach, 1B: 3-for-4, R, RBI
- Luis Garcia, RHP: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K
- R.J. Freure, LHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Carlos Hiraldo, RHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Riley Cabral, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K (WIN)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
CC: Ryan Hartman (2.96 ERA)
BC: Cristian Javier (0.89 ERA)
QC: Leovanny Rodriguez (3.67 ERA)
TRI: Jose Hernandez (2.35 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**