Astros Minor League Recap: June 9th, 2018
Another day of minor league baseball in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (37-25) lost 4-2 (BOX SCORE)
Thornton got the start and pitched well through the first 6 innings allowing just 1 run, but he ended up allowing 2 more in the 7th inning. White got the Grizzlies on the board in the first inning with a solo HR and Reed added a solo HR in 6th but that is all Fresno would score as they fell 4-2.
Note: Reed is hitting .314 with 3 HR, 8 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Trent Thornton, RHP: 7.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Buddy Boshers, LHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (36-25) lost 9-4 (BOX SCORE)
Quiala got the start but got roughed up allowing 5 runs in 3 innings. Pinales relieved Quiala and allowed 2 of his own putting the Hooks in a 7-0 hole. The Hooks would start a rally in the 6th picking up 3 runs on a Wrenn RBI groundout, Ritchie RBI single and De Goti RBI single. They would pick up one more in the 8th on a Ritchie RBI double but the comeback would fall short as they lost 9-4.
Note: Ritchie is hitting .351 over his last 10 games and .292 this season.
- Josh Rojas, LF: 2-for-5, SB
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 1-for-4, BB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 1-for-5, R, 2B
- Stephen Wrenn, DH: 1-for-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, SB
- Jamie Ritchie, C: 3-for-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Alex De Goti, SS: 1-for-4, RBI
- Yoanys Quiala, RHP: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- Erasmo Pinales, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Chris Nunn, LHP: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Kit Scheetz, LHP: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (34-27) won 6-1 (BOX SCORE)
Bielak has been very good this season and it continued last night as he tossed 5 scoreless innings with 5 strikeouts. Adams got the Astros on the board with a 2 run HR in the 5th. Buies Creek picked up 2 more runs in the 6th on a Dawson RBI double and Sieber RBI single. Adams would add another 2 run HR in the 8th inning. The bullpen was solid sealingthe win for Buies Creek.
Note: Bielak has a 2.13 ERA with 69 K in 50.2 innings this season.
- J.J. Matijevic, LF: 0-for-3, 2 BB
- Abraham Toro, 3B: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Ronnie Dawson, CF: 1-for-2, 3 R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB
- Jake Adams, 1B: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI
- Troy Sieber, DH: 1-for-4, RBI
- Luis Payano, RF: 2-for-4
- Carlos Canelon, C: 1-for-3, BB
- Brandon Bielak, RHP: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K (WIN)
- Adam Bleday, LHP: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Robert Corniel, RHP: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (33-29) won 7-5 (BOX SCORE)
Sandoval got the start for Quad Cities last night and was dominant going 5 scoreless innings with 7 strikeouts. He has been very good this season and I don’t expect him to stay in Quad Cities much longer. The River Bandits got on the board in the 4th on a Tovalin RBI double and Bohanek RBI single. De La Cruz added a 2 run HR in the 5th to make it 4-0. A Papierski RBI single and Bohanke 2 run HR in the 8th made it 8-0. Rosado allowed 5 runs in relief but the offense and Sandoval did more than enough to get the win.
Note: Sandoval last 9 outings – 1.26 ERA, 43.0 IP, 32 H, 6 ER, 7 BB, 50 K
- Jake Meyers, CF: 1-for-3, R, BB, SB
- Corey Julks, DH: 1-for-4, BB
- Bryan De La Cruz, RF: 3-for-5, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI
- Adrian Tovalin, 3B: 1-for-5, R, 2B, RBI
- Jonathan Lacroix, LF: 1-for-4, R
- Michael Papierski, C: 1-for-4, R, RBI
- Cody Bohanek, 2B: 2-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI
- Patrick Sandoval, LHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K (WIN)
- Cesar Rosado, RHP: 2.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Willy Collado, RHP: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Rogelio Armenteros (3.72 ERA)
CC: Jorge Alcala (3.86 ERA)
QC: Peter Solomon (2.83 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Richard Guill**