Astros Minor League Recap: June 8th, 2018
Another day of minor league baseball in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (37-24) won 8-5 (BOX SCORE)
The Grizzlies jumped out to an early 5-0 lead scoring five times in the first inning on a Reed 3 run HR and Fisher 2 run HR. Haushcild started for Fresno and allowed 3 runs over 5.2 innings. The Grizzlies picked up another run in the 4th on a Kemmer RBI double and one more in the 5th on a White RBI single to give them 8 runs. The bullpen allowed a couple runs but Hoyt was able to throw a scoreless 9th to pick up the save.
Note: Fisher is hitting .433 with 2 HR, 8 RBI in 7 AAA games.
- Kyle Tucker, LF: 1-for-3, 2 R, 3B, BB
- Tyler White, 2B: 1-for-3, 2 R, RBI, BB
- AJ Reed, 1B: 1-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 1-for-3, R, 3B, BB
- Derek Fisher, CF: 2-for-3, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Jack Mayfield, SS: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Jon Kemmer, DH: 1-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Mike Hauschild, RHP: 5.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K (WIN)
- Kent Emanuel, LHP: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- James Hoyt, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (36-24) won 11-1 (BOX SCORE)
Whitley made his season debut and he looked like he was in mid-season form. He tossed 4 scoreless innings allowing just 1 hit (infield single) while striking out 5. He was up to 98 MPH with his fastball too. Birk got the scoring started in the first inning with an RBI single and De Goti followed with a sac fly to make it 2-0. The Hooks got 3 runs in the 2nd inning on a De Goti solo HR and a Rojas 2 run HR. Jones added an RBI triple in the 4th to make it 6-0. The Hooks blew the game open in the 7th scoring 5 runs on a Wrenn RBI double, McCormick RBI single, and De Goti 3 run HR. The bullpen was solid with Hartman going the final 4 innings allowing 1 run.
Note: De Goti is hitting .405 with 3 HR, 8 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Myles Straw, CF: 3-for-5, 2 R, SB
- Josh Rojas, LF: 3-for-5, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 2-for-5, R, 3B, RBI
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 1-for-5, R
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 3-for-4, R, RBI, BB, SB
- Stephen Wrenn, DH: 1-for-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Chas McCormick, RF: 1-for-4, R, RBI
- Alex De Goti, SS: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI
- Forrest Whitley, RHP: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
- Justin Ferrell, RHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Ryan Hartman, LHP: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K (WIN)
A+: Buies Creek Astros (33-27) won 5-2 (BOX SCORE)
Hector Perez started for Buies Creek last night and had a great performance. He went 6.2 innings allowing 2 runs while striking out 12. In the first inning Matijevic doubled and scored on a Duarte sac fly. Matijevic would then add a 2 run HR in the 3rd to put Buies Creek up 4-0. Dawson added a sac fly in the 5th. Blanco relieved Perez and ended the game with 2.1 scoreless innings.
Note: Toro is hitting .317 with 2 HR, 9 RBI over his last 10 games.
- J.J. Matijevic, LF: 2-for-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- Osvaldo Duarte, RF: 2-for-3, R, RBI
- Abraham Toro, 3B: 2-for-4, 2B, SB
- Ronnie Dawson, CF: 0-for-2, RBI, BB
- Troy Sieber, DH: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Kristian Trompiz, 2B: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Hector Perez, RHP: 6.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 12 K (WIN)
- Ronel Blanco, RHP: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (32-29) lost 5-1 (BOX SCORE)
Another rough night for the offense. The River Bandits picked up just 1 run on a Julks RBI single in the 5th. Mushinski allowed 3 runs over his 4 innings of work. He was relieved by Rodriguez who struck out 6 over 3 innings but the offense was unable to score again.
Note: Mushinksi has a 2.31 ERA with 56 K in 46.2 innings this season.
- Alfredo Angarita, SS: 1-for-4, BB
- Jake Meyers, CF: 1-for-4, BB
- Corey Julks, LF: 1-for-4, RBI, BB
- Cody Bohanek, 3B: 0-for-1, R, BB
- Parker Mushinski, LHP: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Leovanny Rodriguez, RHP: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
- Brendan Feldmann, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Trent Thornton (3.20 ERA)
CC: Yoanys Quiala (5.17 ERA)
QC: Patrick Sandoval (3.31 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**