Astros Minor League Recap: June 11th, 2018
Another day of minor league baseball in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (38-26) lost 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
James got the start last night and turned in another great outing allowing 2 runs, 1 earned, over 6 innings while striking out 11. Mayfield got the Grizzlies on the board in the 2nd inning with a solo HR. After falling behind 2-1, Mayfield tied the game with an RBI double in the 5th. The game went to the 9th tied 2-2 when Oklahoma City scored 2 to take a 4-2 lead. Fresno tied it in the bottom of the 9th with 2 runs on a Kemmer RBI double and a Tucker RBI single. OKC would take a 5-4 lead scoring a run in the 10th and Fresno was unable to respond as they dropped this one 5-4.
Note: James has a 2.41 ERA with 91 K in 56.0 innings this season.
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 1-for-4, 2B, BB
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 1-for-2, R, 2 BB
- Kyle Tucker, LF: 1-for-5, RBI
- Tyler White, 2B: 1-for-4, BB, SB
- Derek Fisher, DH: 0-for-2, 2 R, 3 BB
- Jon Kemmer, RF: 2-for-4, 2B, 3B, RBI
- Jack Mayfield, SS: 2-for-5, R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- Josh James, RHP: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 11 K
- Ralph Garza, LHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- James Hoyt, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Andrew Thome, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (38-25) won 6-4 (BOX SCORE)
Perez was rolling through 5 without allowing a run and striking out 7. He came out for the 6th and loaded the bases before being pulled, and then two runs scored after his departure. Straw got the Hooks on the board with a solo HR in the first inning, his first HR of the season. Jones led off the 4th inning with a HR and De Goti added a 2 run HR to make it 4-0. Jones came through again with an RBI double in the 5th. De Goti wasn’t done though as he would add a solo HR in the 6th. Riley Ferrell came in and pitched the last 2.1 innings allowing just a hit and striking out 4 to pick up the save.
Note: Riley Ferrell last 8 outings – 9.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 13 K
- Myles Straw, CF: 2-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Josh Rojas, LF: 0-for-3, R, BB, SB
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 2-for-3, R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Randy Cesar, DH: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Alex De Goti, 3B: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Chas McCormick, RF: 1-for-3, SB
- Cionel Perez, LHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 7 K (WIN)
- Justin Ferrell, RHP: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 1 K
- Riley Ferrell, RHP: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K (SAVE)
A+: Buies Creek Astros (34-28) POSTPONED
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (34-30) lost 1-0 (BOX SCORE)
Solis got the start yesterday and pitched well allowing 1 run over 5 innings of work. Unfortunately, the offense really struggled and were unable to score a run as they were shutout in the 1-0 loss.
Note: Castellanos has yet to allow an earned run in 4 appearances this season (10.1 innings).
- Jake Meyers, CF: 1-for-4, 2B
- Adrian Tovalin, 3B: 1-for-3, BB
- Roman Garcia, 1B: 2-for-3
- Alfredo Angarita, 2B: 2-for-4
- Jairo Solis, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K
- Humberto Castellanos, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Brendan Feldmann, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
CC: Akeem Bostick (2.89 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**