Houston Astros MiLB Players Of The Month: April
Let’s take a look at the best performances in the Astros system in April.
*Just a note, these are my picks for the month*
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies
HITTER: Drew Ferguson, OF
- April Stats: 23 G, .351 BA/.445 OBP/.543 SLG, 6 2B, 3 3B, 2 HR, 17 RBI, 3 SB, 162 wRC+
Ferguson put together a great April getting on base at a phenomenal clip and showing off some power with the 11 extra base hits. He looks like a guy who could help Houston at some point this year.
PITCHER: Kent Emanuel, LHP
- April Stats: 2-1, 1.66 ERA, 21.2 IP, 15 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 20 SO
Emanuel has been in the system for a while but looks to have finally put it together this season. He was dominant in April with the 1.66 ERA and solid walk and strikeout rates. Maybe he can contribute as a lefty some point this year.
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks
HITTER: Taylor Jones, 1B
- April Stats: 19 G, .354 BA/.463 OBP/.646 SLG, 10 2B, 3 HR, 17 RBI, 187 wRC+
Jones kind of came out of nowhere with this. He struggled the last two seasons but has been on fire in 2018. He has hit for power and posted very good walk and strikeout rates.
PITCHER: Josh James, RHP
- April Stats: 0-0, 1.80 ERA, 20.0 IP, 16 H, 4 ER, 6 BB, 34 SO, .205 BAA
James has been solid during his career but he took a huge step forward this year hitting high 90s with his fastball. He struck out 34 in 20 innings and earned a promotion to AAA.
A+: Buies Creek Astros
HITTER: Josh Rojas, SS/3B
- April Stats: 24 G, .311 BA/.400 OBP/.511 SLG, 11 2B, 2 3B, HR, 10 RBI, 12 SB, 156 wRC+
Rojas looks to be another late round find for the Astros. He posted great walk and strikeout rates and showed some speed on the bases. His performance earned him a promotion Double-A. You can read my interview with him here.
PITCHER: Corbin Martin, RHP
- April Stats: 2-0, 0.00 ERA, 19.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 7 BB, 26 K, .065 BAA
Martin was absolutely dominating in April allowing just 4 hits in 19 innings with 26 strikeouts. Like Rojas, he was also promoted to Double-A following his stellar month.
A: Quad Cities River Bandits
HITTER: Bryan De La Cruz, RF
- April Stats: 19 G, .329 BA/.365 OBP/.443 SLG, 6 2B, 3B, 10 RBI, SB, 124 wRC+
The Quad Cities offense got off to a slow start but De La Cruz was a bright spot hitting .329 with a 124 wRC+ in his 19 games played.
PITCHER: Luis Garcia, RHP
- April Stats: 0-1, 4 G, 0.63 ERA, 14.1 IP, 8 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 20 K, .163 BAA
Garcia was very good in April allowing just 1 earned run in his four outings. He also picked up 20 strikeouts in 14.1 innings.
**Photo Credit: Joe Dwyer/SR Photography**