Astros Minor League Recap: May 15th, 2018
Another day of minor league baseball in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (24-16) lost 3-2 (BOX SCORE)
Tough loss late. Rogelio Armenteros got the start and was solid striking out 8 in 5.2 innings. The Grizzlies got on the board in the 5th on a Kemmer solo HR. Tyler White put Fresno ahead in the 7th with an RBI single to make it 2-1. The bullpen struggled late with McCurry allowing one in the 8th and Hoyt allowing one in the 9th as Fresno fell 3-2.
Note: White is hitting .421 with 11 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Kyle Tucker, CF: 2-for-4, 2B, BB, SB
- Tyler White, 1B: 2-for-4, RBI
- AJ Reed, DH: 0-for-2, 2 BB
- Jon Kemmer, RF: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 1-for-3, R
- Rogelio Armenteros, RHP: 5.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 8 K
- Buddy Boshers, LHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- James Hoyt, RHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (22-16) won 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
Nice comeback for the Hooks last night. Winkelman started the game for Corpus Christi and allowed 3 runs in 4 innings of work. Carlos Sierra made his AA debut in relief and allowed one run in his one inning of work. The Hooks entered the 7th down 4-0 but rallied to score 5 runs on a Quintana RBI double, De Goti 2 run single, Wrenn RBI single, and Benedetti RBI single. Cionel Perez closed the game out allowing just 1 hit and no runs over the final 4 innings with 6 strikeouts. He was touching 97 MPH consistently last night.
Note: Perez last 6 outings – 0.36 ERA, 24.1 IP, 1 ER, 8 BB, 28 K
- Myles Straw, CF: 2-for-4, BB, SB
- Stephen Wrenn, RF: 1-for-3, R, 2 BB
- Carmen Benedetti, LF: 1-for-4, RBI
- Josh Rojas, 2B: 2-for-4, SB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Ryne Birk, DH: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Lorenzo Quintana, C: 1-for-2, R, 2B, RBI
- Alex De Goti, SS: 2-for-4, R, 2 RBI
- Alex Winkelman, LHP: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Carlos Sierra, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Cionel Perez, LHP: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K (WIN)
A+: Buies Creek Astros (23-15) won 3-1 (BOX SCORE)
Jorge Alcala got the start for Buies Creek last night and was very good allowing just one hit and one run in 5 innings while striking out 8. The offense was silent until the 6th inning when they scored 3 runs on a Toro RBI single, Matijevic RBI double, and McCormick sac fly. Saldana relieved Alcala and went 4 scoreless innings to close it out.
Note: Alcala last 6 outings – 1.80 ERA, 25.0 IP, 14 H, 10 BB, 31 K
- Alfredo Angarita, 2B: 1-for-3, R, BB, SB
- Ronnie Dawson, CF: 1-for-4, R
- Abraham Toro, 3B: 1-for-4, R, RBI
- J.J. Matijevic, DH: 1-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Chas McCormick, RF: 0-for-1, RBI, BB
- Jorge Alcala, RHP: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K
- Abdiel Saldana, RHP: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (19-17) lost 6-5 (BOX SCORE)
Yohan Ramirez started the game for Quad Cities and allowed 4 runs, 3 earned in just 3.2 innings. Meyers doubled and scored in the first to get Quad Cities on the board. In the 2nd, Lacroix came through with an RBI double and scored on a wild pitch to make it 3-3. Lacroix added an RBI single in the 6th to take a 4-3 lead.Unfortunately, the bullpen struggled allowing a run in the 7th and 8th as the River Bandits fell 6-5.
Note: Meyers is hitting .350 with 6 2B, 2 HR, 9 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Jake Meyers, CF: 1-for-5, R, 2B
- Ruben Castro, C: 1-for-5, 2B, RBI
- Miguelangel Sierra, 3B: 2-for-4, R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Bryan De La Cruz, RF: 1-for-3, 2 R, BB
- Jonathan Lacroix, DH: 2-for-2, R, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Yohan Ramirez, RHP: 3.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 4 K
- Tanner Duncan, LHP: 3.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Dariel Aquino, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
CC: Framber Valdez (6.53 ERA)
BC: Brandon Bielak (2.17 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**