Astros Minor League Recap: May 12th, 2018
Another day of minor league baseball in the books. See the results below.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (22-15) won 7-4 (BOX SCORE)
The Grizzlies got off to a fast start last night scoring 3 runs in the 2nd inning on Garcia RBI single, de Oleo RBI double, and Kemp RBI triple. Thornton started for the Grizzlies and picked up a quality start allowing 3 runs over 6.2 innings. Kyle Tucker added a 2 run HR in the 5th, his 3rd HR of the season. The Grizzlies would score 2 more runs on a Reed 2 run HR in the 8th, his 5th of the season. Hoyt picked up the save going 1.2 innings to seal the win.
Note: Tucker is hitting .333 with 9 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 1-for-2, 3B, RBI
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 3-for-4, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI
- AJ Reed, 1B: 1-for-3, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Alejandro Garcia, LF: 1-for-4, R, RBI
- Eduardo de Oleo, C: 1-for-3, R, 2B, RBI
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 1-for-2, R, 2B, BB, SB
- Trent Thornton, RHP: 6.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (WIN)
- Buddy Boshers, LHP: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- James Hoyt, LHP: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (19-16) won 9-3 (BOX SCORE)
The Hooks jumped out to a demanding lead last night dropping a 7 spot on Midland in the first inning thanks to a Benedetti 2 run double, Cesar RBI single, Tanielu RBI single, Straw RBI single, and another scoring on a passed ball and double play. Dykxhoorn got the start and allowed 3 runs over his 4.2 innings of work. Benedetti picked up another RBI double in the 6th to make it 9-3. Ryan Hartman closed the game out going 4.1 scoreless innings to pick up the win.
Note: Rojas is hitting .342 with .988 OPS in 10 AA games.
- Myles Straw, CF: 2-for-5, R, RBI, SB
- Josh Rojas, LF: 3-for-5, 2 R, 2B, SB
- Taylor Jones, DH: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Nick Tanielu, 1B: 3-for-4, 2 R, RBI
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 1-for-5, R, RBI
- Carmen Benedetti, RF: 3-for-4, R, 2 2B, 2 RBI, BB
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 0-for-2, R, BB
- Alex De Goti, SS: 1-for-4, RBI
- Brock Dykxhoorn, RHP: 4.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Ryan Hartman, LHP: 4.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K (WIN)
A+: Buies Creek Astros (22-14) won 9-3 (BOX SCORE)
Buies Creek got off to a nice start last night getting 1 run in the first on a Toro RBI double and 4 more in the 2nd on Canelon RBI single, Angarita RBI groundout, Dawson RBI double, and Toro RBI single. Carson LaRue got the start and was solid allowing 3 runs over 5.1 innings. The offense played add on in the 4th getting 3 runs on a Duarte 2 run single and another scoring on an error. LaRue was relieved by Kit Scheetz who continued his domination of the Carolina League going 3.2 scoreless innings with 5 strikeouts to pick up the save.
Note: Scheetz has a 1.16 ERA with 5 BB/38 K in 23.1 innings this season.
- Alfredo Angarita, 2B: 0-for-4, 3 R, RBI, BB, SB
- Ronnie Dawson, CF: 2-for-3, 3 R, 2B, RBI, BB, SB
- Abraham Toro, 3B: 2-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
- Osvaldo Duarte, SS: 2-for-4, 3 RBI, BB
- Chas McCormick, RF: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Luis Payano, DH: 0-for-3, R, 2 BB
- Carlos Canelon, C: 2-for-4, R, RBI, BB
- Carson LaRue, RHP: 5.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K (WIN)
- Kit Scheetz, LHP: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (19-15) lost 5-3 (BOX SCORE)
Patrick Sandoval got the start last night and was very good once again. He went 5 scoreless innings allowing just 1 hit with 6 strikeouts. Outside of his one bad outing (10 ER), he has allowed 4 ER in 29.1 innings. The River Bandits took a 2-0 lead on a Arauz RBI triple and a Shaver RBI single. They got another run in the 5th on a Shaver solo HR. Unfortunately, the game went into a rain delay and after play resumed, the bullpen allowed 5 runs as they dropped this one 5-3.
Note: Sandoval’s last four outings – 0.90 ERA, 20.0 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 28 K
- Jake Meyers, CF: 2-for-4
- Jonathan Arauz, 2B: 2-for-4, 2B
- Bryan De La Cruz, RF: 1-for-4, R, 3B
- Jake Adams, 1B: 2-for-4, R, 3B, RBI
- Colton Shaver, DH: 2-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Patrick Sandoval, LHP: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
- Cesar Rosado, RHP: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Robert Corniel, RHP: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Carlos Sanabria, RHP: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Cy Sneed (5.17 ERA)
CC: Corbin Martin (18.90 ERA)
BC: Brandon Bailey (4.74 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**