Astros Minor League Recap: April 13th, 2018
Another day of minor league baseball in the books. See the results below.
Wild game in Fresno last night that just happened to be on Friday the 13th. Martes made his second start of the season and this one went better as he allowed just 2 runs in 6 innings. Fresno ended up finding themselves down 4-0 heading into the bottom of the 8th. In the 8th, they rallied for 3 runs on a White solo HR and Kemmer 2 run HR. Fresno would tie it up in the 9th on a Ferguson RBI triple. Tucker had a chance to win it with a man on third but grounded out, though his revenge would come later.
The game stayed tied at 4 until the 12th inning when Reno scored 2 runs sending it to the bottom of the 12th with Fresno trailing 6-4. Fresno rallied once again with an RBI double from Stubbs and a bases loaded walk to Ferguson to tie it at 6. Tucker came up with the bases loaded and lined an RBI single to RF for the walk-off win. Ferguson is off to a nice start hitting .414 with more walks than strikeouts in 8 games this season.
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 1-for-5, R, 3B, BB
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 2-for-4, 3B, 2 RBI, BB
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 1-for-5, RBI, BB
- Tyler White, 3B: 2-for-4, R, HR, RBI, BB
- Jack Mayfield, SS: 1-for-5, 2 R, 2B
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 2-for-5, R, 2B, 3B, RBI
- Jon Kemmer, DH: 1-for-3, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Francis Martes, RHP: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Matt Ramsey, RHP: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Jacob Dorris, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Buddy Boshers, LHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K (WIN)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (4-4) won 8-1 (BOX SCORE)
The Hooks also benefited from the late inning magic last night. Hartman made his first AA start last night and pitched very well tossing 5 shutout innings. Michelena got the Hooks on the board with a little league HR (triple and scored on error). NW Arkansas tied it up at one in the 7th but Corpus Christi wasted no time retaking the lead. In the bottom of the 7th Quintana connected on 2 run HR, his first HR of the season. The Hooks would add some insurance in the 8th scoring 5 runs thanks to an Alvarez RBI double, Jones RBI single and Quintana 3 run HR (2nd of game and season). Dykxhoorn relieved Hartman and was solid allowing just 1 run in 3.1 innings. Alvarez is off to a nice start in his AA debut hitting .320 with .899 OPS in the first 7 games.
- Myles Straw, CF: 1-for-4
- Carmen Benedetti, RF: 0-for-2, R, 2 BB, SB
- Yordan Alvarez, LF: 1-for-4, R, 2B, RBI, SB
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 1-for-4, R, RBI
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 3-for-4, R
- Lorenzo Quintana, C: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI
- Arturo Michelena, SS: 1-for-3, R, 3B, BB
- Ryan Hartman, LHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- Brock Dykxhoorn, RHP: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K (WIN)
- Kevin Hill, RHP: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (4-5) lost 4-2 (BOX SCORE)
Carson LaRue made his second start of the season last night and was even better than his season debut. LaRue went 5 innings allowing 4 hits and no runs, while picking up 6 strikeouts keeping his season ERA at 0.00. Unfortunately, Bailey struggled in relief allowing 4 runs in just 2.2 innings. The offense had a rough night only getting an RBI single from Duarte in the 6th and an RBI groundout from Duarte in the 8th. Rojas had a good game picking up 3 hits. He is hitting .290 with .421 OBP and 5 SB in 7 games this season.
- Carson LaRue, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
- Brandon Bailey, RHP: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
- Kit Scheetz, LHP: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (2-5) lost 1-0 (BOX SCORE)
Another tough night for the Quad Cities bats. As a team they are hitting just .188 this season. The pitching was good though with Solomon tossing 2 scoreless innings to start, though he walked 3. Ivey pitched in relief and was very good going 4.1 innings allowing just the 1 run and picking up 7 strikeouts. Ivey now has 16 K in 9 innings over two outings this season.
- Jonathan Arauz, SS: 0-for-3, BB, SB
- J.J. Matijevic, LF: 1-for-4, 2B
- Jake Adams, 1B: 2-for-4, 2B
- Marcos Almonte, 3B: 0-for-3, BB, SB
- Peter Solomon, RHP: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- Luis Garcia, RHP: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Tyler Ivey, RHP: 4.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Rogelio Armenteros (6.23 ERA)
CC: Yoanys Quiala (1.80 ERA)
BC: Brett Adcock (4.50 ERA)
QC: Cristian Javier (0.00 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Richard Guill**