Astros Minor League Recap: June 9th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (29-33) lost 14-12 (BOX SCORE)
Wild game in El Paso last night. Deetz made his 2nd AAA start and while this one went better, it was still pretty rough for him as he allowed 5 runs in 3 innings with 4 walks. He was then relieved by Tolliver who allowed 6 runs without retiring a batter. After falling behind 3-0, Fresno got a run in the 2nd on an RBI single by Brignac. They would temporarily take the lead in the 3rd with 2 runs scoring on an error and an RBI double from Tucker.
El Paso then exploded for 8 in the 4th and 3 in the 5th to make it a 14-4 game. The Grizzlies didn’t quit and continued to battle. They got 6 runs in the 6th on a Reed solo HR, White sacrifice fly, Centeno 2 run single, and Reed 2 run single to make it 14-10. Fresno entered the 9th down 14-10 but had a 2 out rally with a 2 run HR from Kemp. The next two batters singled but Fisher would groundout to end the game.
Note: Tucker is hitting .325 with 3 HR, 14 RBI over his last 10 games
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 2-for-5, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Tyler White, 3B: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 BB
- Preston Tucker, LF: 4-for-5, 2B, 2 RBI
- Derek Fisher, CF: 1-for-5, R, BB
- Juan Centeno, C: 3-for-5, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 1-for-4
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 2-for-5, R, HR, 3 RBI
- Reid Brignac, SS: 1-for-3, R, RBI, BB
- Jon Kemmer, DH: 2-for-3, 3 R, 2B
- Dean Deetz, RHP: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
- Ashur Tolliver, LHP: 0.0 IP, 3 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
- Tyson Perez, RHP: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Brian Holmes, LHP: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (30-30) lost 3-1 (BOX SCORE)
Framber Valdez made his AA debut last night and pitched well allowing just 2 runs over 6 innings, though he did have 4 walks to 3 strikeouts. The offense struggled to get anything going getting just 6 hits on the night. The lone run Corpus scored was on a Ritchie RBI single scoring Tucker. Tucker has hit safely in all 10 AA games. Ferrell had a solid outing in relief tossing a scoreless 9th inning.
Note: Ferrell has had a scoreless outing in 3 of his last 4 appearances
- Kyle Tucker, CF: 1-for-4, R
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 1-for-3, BB
- Jack Mayfield, SS: 1-for-4, 2B
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 1-for-4
- Jason Martin, DH: 1-for-4
- Framber Valdez, LHP: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 3 K
- Sean Stutzman, LHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Riley Ferrell, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (33-28) won 7-4 (BOX SCORE)
Buies Creek got off to a nice start in this one getting 1 run in the 1st on Rogers solo HR. This was his 4th HR in High-A and 10th HR overall. Buies Creek would add 4 more runs in the 4th on a 2 run single from Ayarza and RBI singles from Birk and Johnson. Justin Ferrell got the start and picked up the win allowing 2 runs over 5 innings of work.
Wilmington battled back late to make it 5-4 but Buies Creek added some insurance in the 8th when Rogers scored on a wild pitch and another run in the 9th on an RBI single from Rogers. Rogers is hitting .352 in 19 games with Buies Creek and .295 in 46 games overall this season.
Note: Rogers is hitting .381 with HR, 7 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Myles Straw, CF: 2-for-5, R, 2B, BB, SB
- Rodrigo Ayarza, LF: 1-for-5, R, 2 RBI
- Jake Rogers, DH: 3-for-5, 3 R, HR, 2 RBI, SB
- Anthony Hermelyn, C: 2-for-4, 2B, 2 BB
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 3-for-6, RBI
- Spencer Johnson, 1B: 1-for-5, RBI, BB
- Pat Porter, RF: 0-for-4, R, 2 BB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 3-for-4, 2B, BB
- Anibal Sierra, SS: 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Justin Ferrell, RHP: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (WIN)
- Carlos Sierra, LHP: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
- Andrew Walter, LHP: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (31-28) won 8-3 (BOX SCORE)
Gabriel Valdez got the start last night for Quad Cities and was solid allowing 2 runs over his 5 innings of work. After falling behind 1-0 in the first Quad Cities took the lead on a 2 run double from Benedetti in the 3rd inning. The River Bandits picked up another run in the 4th on a Franco RBI double and another run in the 5th with Arauz scoring on a wild pitch.
Cionel Perez pitched the final 4 innings and was very good allowing 1 hit, 1 unearned run and 4 strikeouts. Perez has been up and down but has had 3 phenomenal outings in which he has gone 16.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 21 K. Clearly the talent is there. Quad Cities put the game away with 4 runs in the 7th on a sac fly by Alvarez, a 2 run HR from Robinson and another run scoring on an error.
Note: Perez has a 2.08 ERA with 23 K in 21.2 innings over his last 4 outings.
- Osvaldo Duarte, SS: 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Carmen Benedetti, RF: 2-for-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Yordan Alvarez, 1B: 0-for-4, RBI
- Chuckie Robinson, C: 1-for-5, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 2-for-4, R, 2 2B, BB
- Wander Franco, 3B: 1-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Marcos Almonte, DH: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Jonathan Arauz, 2B: 2-for-3, 3 R, BB
- Gabriel Valdez, RHP: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K (WIN)
- Cionel Perez, LHP: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K (SAVE)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Trent Thornton (4.71 ERA)
CC: Kyle Smith (2.63 ERA)
BC: Hector Perez (2.87 ERA)
QC: Carlos Sanabria (5.29 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Richard Guill**