Astros Minor League Recap: June 1st, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (24-30) won 12-9 (BOX SCORE)
Martes got the start last night but he got roughed up early allowing 7 runs, 4 earned, in 2.2 innings. His ERA sits at 5.29 this season. Fresno got on the board in the first inning when Fisher doubled and scored on a Hernandez RBI single. At one point, Fresno was down 7-1 but the offense would go to work. They got 1 run back in the 3rd on a Kemp RBI groundout. They got 2 more in the 4th on a Centeno RBI single and a run scoring on a wild pitch.
The offense went to work big time in the 5th scoring 6 runs on a Tucker RBI single, Reed 2 run single, and a 3 run HR from Centeno. Fisher continued his hot hitting in the 6th with a 2 run HR, his 4th consecutive game with a homer. He is hitting .338 with 15 2B, 14 HR this season. McCurry tossed 2.2 scoreless innings in relief and Diaz pitched 1.1 scoreless innings to close it out.
Note: Centeno is hitting .389 in 26 AAA games.
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 0-for-5, RBI
- Preston Tucker, DH: 1-for-5, R, RBI
- Derek Fisher, CF: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 2-for-4, R, RBI
- Colin Moran, 3B: 0-for-3, 2 R
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Juan Centeno, C: 3-for-4, R, HR, 4 RBI
- Alejandro Garcia, LF: 3-for-4, 3 R, 2B
- Francis Martes, RHP: 2.2 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
- Brian Holmes, LHP: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K (WIN)
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Dayan Diaz, RHP: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K (SAVE)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (27-26) won 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
Sneed was on the mound for the Hooks last night and he was great the first 5 innings as he didn’t allow a run. He ran into some trouble in the 5th giving up 4 runs, though just 1 of the runs were earned. The Hooks got on the board in the 5th inning on a Laureano 2 run HR, his 3rd HR of the season. They played add on in the 6th with a Nunez 2 run single and a Ferguson RBI single.
The bullpen was solid with Thompson tossing 1.2 scoreless innings and Thome closing it out going the final 2 innings without allowing a run. Davis added a sac fly in the 9th for a little added insurance. Ferguson and Laureano both had multi-hit games, which is great to see from Laureano who has struggled to this point.
Note: Ferguson is hitting .424 over his last 10 games.
- Drew Ferguson, LF: 2-for-5, R, 2B, RBI
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 1-for-5
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 1-for-2, 2B, RBI, BB
- Jamie Ritchie, C: 2-for-5
- Jack Mayfield, 2B: 3-for-4, 2 R
- Ramon Laureano, CF: 3-for-4, R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- Bryan Muniz, 1B: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 2-for-3, 2 RBI
- Cy Sneed, RHP: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (WIN)
- Ryan Thompson, RHP: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Andrew Thome, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
A+: Buies Creek Astros (30-24) lost 6-3 (BOX SCORE)
Alcala got the start last night and pitched well early allowing just 1 run in the first 5 innings. He ran into some trouble in the 6th though giving up 3 runs while retiring just two batters in the inning. He struggled with his command walking 5 in the 5.2 innings. Buies Creek did jump out to an early 1-0 lead in the 1st when Wrenn scored on a wild pitch. After falling behind 4-1, Buies Creek rallied for 2 runs on a 2 run double from Ayarza. Carolina added 2 more runs in the 7th and the offense couldn’t get anything else going as they fell 6-3. Hernandez has another solid relief outing striking out 3 in the 9th.
Note: Rogers is hitting .354 with 3 HR, 10 RBI in 14 High-A games.
- Myles Straw, CF: 0-for-4, BB
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 1-for-5
- Stephen Wrenn, LF: 0-for-3, R, 2 BB, SB
- Jake Rogers, C: 1-for-4, SB
- Alex DeGoti, SS: 0-for-2, 2 BB
- Spencer Johnson, 1B: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 1-for-4, R
- Rodrigo Ayarza, DH: 1-for-3, 2B, 2 RBI
- Jorge Alcala, RHP: 5.2 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 2 K
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Nick Hernandez, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (26-26) lost 11-1 (BOX SCORE)
Really rough game for Quad Cities last night. Hunt got the start but last just 3 innings giving up 3 runs. He was relieved by Pinales who allowed 5 runs retiring just 1 batter. LaRue came in after him and allowed 3 runs in 3.1 innings, though he did have 4 strikeouts. Quad Cities lone run came in the 7th inning on a Henderson RBI single. The offense managed just 5 hits, with one of them being a double from Alvarez.
Note: LaRue has a 2.13 ERA in 50.2 innings this season.
- Yordan Alvarez, 1B: 1-for-4, 2B
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 1-for-4, R
- Daz Cameron, CF: 1-for-4
- Wander Franco, 3B: 1-for-3
- Ray Henderson, C: 1-for-3, RBI
- Dustin Hunt, RHP: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Erasmo Pinales, RHP: 0.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
- Carson LaRue, RHP: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Salvador Montano, LHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Casey Coleman (6.67 ERA)
CC: Brock Dykxhoorn (6.44 ERA)
BC: Yoanys Quiala (3.15 ERA)
QC: Gabriel Valdez (3.60 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**