Astros Minor League Recap: June 18th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (34-36) lost 11-5 (BOX SCORE)
Just one of those days for the pitching staff. Together they allowed 18 hits, 5 walks, and 11 runs. Fresno actually had a 2-0 lead on a Centeno 2 run double but it wouldn’t last long. Tucker had a 2 run single in the 7th to give Fresno five runs but it wasn’t near enough as every pitcher for Fresno allowed at least 1 run.
Note: Kemmer is hitting .400 with 3 HR, 8 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Jon Kemmer, LF: 0-for-3, R, 2 BB
- Preston Tucker, DH: 1-for-3, R, 2 RBI, BB
- Teoscar Hernandez, CF: 1-for-3, 2 R, BB
- Colin Moran, 3B: 0-for-2, 2 BB
- Juan Centeno, C: 1-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Reid Brignac, SS: 1-for-4, R
- Casey Coleman, RHP: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- Aaron West, RHP: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Ashur Tolliver, LHP: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Jordan Jankowski, RHP: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (33-36) lost 2-1 (BOX SCORE)
Rough night for the Corpus offense. While they got 6 hits and drew 6 walks, they scored just 1 run. That run came in the 6th on a Martin RBI single. Dykxhoorn got the start and was solid allowing 2 runs over 5 innings. Armenteros relieved Dykxhoorn and was great tossing 4 perfect innings with 3 strikeouts. This lowered his season ERA to 1.64. The Hooks tried to rally in the 9th but Ferguson struck out with the bases loaded to end it.
Note: Martin is hitting .370 in 14 AA games.
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 0-for-3, BB
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 1-for-3, BB
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Jamie Ritchie, C: 1-for-3, BB
- Jason Martin, LF: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Brock Dykxhoorn, RHP: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- Rogelio Armenteros, RHP: 4.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (37-33) won 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
Nice win for Buies Creek. Hartman got the start and allowing only 1 run but last just 3 innings. He was relieved by Adcock who tossed 2 innings allowing 3 runs, 1 earned. Buies Creek saw themselves in a 4-0 hole but would battle back. In the 5th, Cesar doubled and later scored on an Ayarza groundout. In the 6th, Rogers had an RBI groundout to make it 4-2.
Buies Creek went into the 8th down 4-2 but rallied for 2 runs on a Rogers RBI single and a 2 out RBI single from Cesar to tie it at 4. Winston-Salem was held scoreless for the final 5 innings by Ferrell, Hernandez, and Garza. In the bottom of the 10th with DeGoti on 2nd, Rogers reached on an error allowing DeGoti to come around and score for the walk-off win.
Note: Hernandez hasn’t allowed a run since April 22nd (15 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 6 BB, 21 K)
- Myles Straw, CF: 2-for-4, R, BB
- Alex DeGoti, 3B: 0-for-2, 3 R, BB
- Jake Rogers, C: 1-for-5, 2 RBI
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 2-for-4, R, 2B, RBI
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 2-for-4
- Ryan Hartman, LHP: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Brett Adcock, LHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Justin Ferrell, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Nick Hernandez, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K (WIN)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (37-31) won 5-3 (BOX SCORE)
Another close game for Quad Cities. Alvarez got the River Bandits on the board in the 3rd inning on a 2 run HR, his 9th of the season and 4th in the last 6 games. Blanco was on the mound and allowed 2 runs over 5 innings. Quad Cities entered the 8th inning down 3-2 but got 2 runs to take the lead with 2 runs scoring on force outs. They got 1 more in the 9th when Cameron singled and came around to score on a wild pitch. Hill pitched a scoreless 9th to get the save.
Note: Alvarez has 4 HR, 13 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Bryan De La Cruz, RF: 1-for-2, R
- Jonathan Arauz, SS: 0-for-3, 2 R, 2 BB
- Yordan Alvarez, DH: 1-for-3, R, HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Chuckie Robinson, C: 1-for-4
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 1-for-4
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 1-for-4
- Daz Cameron, CF: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Ronel Blanco, RHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- Abdiel Saldana, RHP: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K (WIN)
- Kevin Hill, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: David Martinez (5.05 ERA)
CC: Yoanys Quiala (-.– ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**