Astros Minor League Recap: June 17th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (34-35) won 6-1 (BOX SCORE)
Hauschild started last night for the Grizzlies and pitched great. He went 6 innings allowing just 1 run and struck out 8. Fresno’s bats got going early with a 2 run double from Teoscar in the first inning. In the 2nd inning, White added an RBI double to make it 3-0. White has 19 RBI in his last 10 games. Reed added on to the lead with a solo HR in the 4th inning, his 12th HR of the season. Brignac added some insurance in the 8th with a 2 run double. Perez and Comer had scoreless innings to close it out.
Note: Kemmer is hitting .400 with 3 HR, 8 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Jon Kemmer, LF: 2-for-4
- Tyler White, 2B: 2-for-4, R, 2 2B, RBI
- Preston Tucker, RF: 1-for-3, R, 2B, BB
- Teoscar Hernandez, CF: 2-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Juan Centeno, DH: 1-for-4, R
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 1-for-2, 2 R, HR, RBI, 2 BB
- Reid Brignac, SS: 2-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Max Stassi, C: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Mike Hauschild, RHP: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K (WIN)
- Tyson Perez, RHP: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Ashur Tolliver, LHP: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Kevin Comer, RHP: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K (SAVE)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (33-35) lost 12-8 (BOX SCORE)
Corpus jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first on a 2 run HR from Singleton. Winkelman got the start but had a rough day allowing 7 runs (2 earned) over just 1.2 innings. Corpus entered the 3rd down 8-2 but battled back getting 4 runs a Singleton sac fly, Stubbs RBI single, Mayfield RBI groundout and Martin RBI double. The hooks got another in the 8th on a Ferguson RBI single and 1 more in the 9th on a Mayfield RBI single but the deficit was too much to overcome.
Note: Martin is hitting .360 in 13 AA games and .450 over his last 10 games.
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 3-for-5, 2 R, 2B, RBI, 2 SB
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 1-for-4, R, BB, 2 SB
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 2-for-4, R, BB
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 1-for-3, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB, SB
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 1-for-3, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB
- Jack Mayfield, 2B: 1-for-5, 2 RBI
- Jason Martin, LF: 3-for-4, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- Alex Winkelman, LHP: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Riley Ferrell, RHP: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- Andrew Walter, LHP: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Sean Stutzman, LHP: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (36-33)
Game 1 – lost 2-0 (BOX SCORE)
Pitching dominated both games of the doubleheader but really got to Buies Creek in the first game as they managed just 3 hits and no runs in 7 innings. Hector Perez got the start and was solid going 5.1 innings allowing 4 hits and 2 runs with 6 strikeouts, though he did walk 4. Unfortunately he was out-dueled by Winston-Salem’s starter who threw a complete game shutout (7 innings)
- Hector Perez, RHP: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
- Devon Carr, RHP: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Game 2 – lost 2-1 (BOX SCORE)
Game 2 didn’t get much better for the Buies Creek offense as they managed just 1 run and 4 hits in this one. The 1 run came on a Birk RBI single in the 5th inning. Franklin Perez was on the mound in this one and was great. His first 6 innings were flawless allowing just 1 hit, no runs, no walks, and 5 strikeouts. He came back out for the 7th and after an error allowed a man on, he gave up a 2 run homer. Even then, his start was fantastic allowing just 1 earned run over the complete game.
- Franklin Perez, RHP: 7.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (36-31) lost 4-3 (BOX SCORE)
Late rally helped Beloit win this one. Yohan Ramirez got the start and pitched pretty well allowing just 2 runs over 5.2 innings with 6 strikeouts. Quad Cities got on the board in the 5th with an RBI double from Franco. After falling behind 2-1 in the 6th, Quad Cities re-took the lead with 2 runs in the 8th on a Jones 2 run double. Unfortunately, the bullpen couldn’t hold it as they gave up 1 run in the 8th to tie it and another run in the 10th to win it for Beloit.
Note: Almonte is hitting .347 over his last 10 games.
- Marcos Almonte, RF: 1-for-5
- Tyler Wolfe, 2B: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Chuckie Robinson, C: 2-for-4
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 1-for-5, 2B, 2 RBI
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 0-for-3, BB, SB
- Daz Cameron, CF: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Wander Franco, 3B: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Yohan Ramirez, RHP: 5.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
- Lucas Williams, RHP: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- Salvador Montano, LHP: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Casey Coleman (5.84 ERA)
CC: Brock Dykxhoorn (5.68 ERA)
BC: Brett Adcock (5.81 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**