Astros Minor League Recap: May 5th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (13-16) won 5-1 (BOX SCORE)
Thornton got the start last night for the Grizzlies and was great once again striking out 6 over 6 scoreless innings. Fresno got their scoring started with a White RBI double and an Aplin RBI single in the 2nd inning. Centeno added a sac fly in the 4th to make it 3-0. In the 5th inning, Tucker connected on a 2 run HR, his 5th HR of the season. Perez allowed a run in the 7th but overall the bullpen was solid.
Note: In 2 starts for Fresno, Thornton has allowed just 1 run (12 innings)
- Preston Tucker, RF: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Derek Fisher, DH: 3-for-4, R, 2B
- Jon Kemmer, LF: 0-for-2, R, 2 BB
- Tyler White, 3B: 3-for-4, 2B, RBI
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Juan Centeno, C: 2-for-3, RBI
- Andrew Aplin, CF: 1-for-4, RBI
- Trent Thornton, RHP: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K (WIN)
- Tyson Perez, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Ashur Tolliver, LHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Jordan Jankowski, RHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (15-13) lost 10-4 (BOX SCORE)
Corpus has a lead for a while but it really got away from them late. Singleton got the scoring started with an RBI double in the first inning. They added two more in the 4th on a Garcia 2 run double. Nunez joined the party with an RBI triple in the 5th. Smith went 5 innings allowing just 2 runs. Unfortunately, the bullpen struggled allowing 8 run in the 6-7-8 innings digging too big of a hole for the offense.
Note: Nunez is hitting .296 in 24 games this season.
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 2-for-3, 3B, RBI
- Drew Ferguson, RF: 1-for-3, R, 2B
- Trent Woodward, C: 0-for-2, R, 2 BB
- Alejandro Garcia, LF: 1-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 1-for-2, 2B, RBI, 2 BB
- Jamie Ritchie, DH: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Tyler Wolfe, 2B: 1-for-4, R
- Kyle Smith, RHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Akeem Bostick, RHP: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Eric Peterson, RHP: 2.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Andrew Thome, RHP: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (19-10) lost 4-2 (BOX SCORE)
One bad inning doomed Hernandez last night. Birk got the Astros on the board with a solo HR in the 2nd inning, his 2nd HR of the season. Hernandez allowed 3 runs in the 2nd inning and allowed 4 runs overall in 5 innings. Astros got one back in the 6th on a Hermelyn RBI groundout but that is all the offense could muster as they fell 4-2.
Note: Sierra has 1.83 ERA with 23 K in 19.2 innings this season.
- Myles Straw, RF: 2-for-4, 2B, BB
- Kyle Tucker, CF: 0-for-3, 2 BB
- Jason Martin, LF: 1-for-4, R
- Eduardo de Oleo, DH: 1-for-4, SB
- Anibal Sierra, SS: 1-for-3, 2 BB
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 1-for-3, R, HR, RBI, BB
- Anthony Hermelyn, C: 0-for-4, RBI
- Elieser Hernandez, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K
- Carlos Sierra, RHP: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (15-11) won 6-2 (BOX SCORE)
Perez made his second start for Quad Cities and was fantastic tossing 5.2 scoreless innings with 7 strikeouts. Almonte led off the second inning with a double and eventually scored on a wild pitch. Quad Cities would get 2 more in the 3rd on a Cesar 2 run double. The River Bandits added 3 more in the 6th with a 2 run double from Johnson and a sac fly from Benedetti. Saldana gave up 2 runs in relief and Pinales pitched a scoreless 9th to seal the win.
Note: Almonte is hitting .378 with 3 HR, 10 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Alex DeGoti, 2B: 1-for-3, BB
- Jake Rogers, C: 1-for-4, R
- Randy Cesar, DH: 1-for-2, R, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Marcos Almonte, SS: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B
- Spencer Johnson, 1B: 1-for-3, R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
- Carmen Benedetti, LF: 0-for-1, RBI, BB
- Cionel Perez, LHP: 5.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K (WIN)
- Abdiel Saldana, RHP: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Erasmo Pinales, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Mike Hauschild (6.00 ERA)
CC: Kent Emanuel (6.00 ERA)
BC: Justin Ferrell (7.50 ERA)
QC: Forrest Whitley (0.00 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Kiel Maddox/Fresno Grizzlies**