Astros Minor League Recap: May 3rd, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (12-15) won 9-5 (BOX SCORE)
Fresno got the lone win the Astros system last night. They got off to a great start when Reed connected on a 3 run HR in the first inning, his 4th HR of the season. They got 4 runs in the 2nd with 1 run scoring on an error, one on a bases loaded walk to White and 2 on a Tucker 2 run double. Coleman made his Fresno debut and allowed 4 runs over 5 innings. In the 5th, Fresno got two more on an RBI double from Stassi and a Mayfield RBI single. West tossed two scoreless innings in relief with Yuhl going the final two innings allowing just 1 unearned run.
Note: Reed is hitting .545 (12-for-22) over his last 6 games raising his average from .229 to .304.
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 2-for-5, R
- Preston Tucker, DH: 1-for-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Derek Fisher, LF: 1-for-4, R
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 1-for-3, R, HR, 3 RBI
- Tyler White, 3B: 0-for-4, RBI, BB
- Jon Kemmer, RF: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Max Stassi, C: 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 2B, RBI, BB
- Andrew Aplin, CF: 1-for-4, R
- Jack Mayfield, SS: 1-for-4, R, 2 RBI
- Casey Coleman, RHP: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K (WIN)
- Aaron West, RHP: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Keegan Yuhl, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (15-11) lost 12-3 (BOX SCORE)
Not a good day for the Hooks’ pitching staff. Dykxhoorn got the start and allowed 7 runs in just 2.2 innings. Singleton got the Hooks on the board in the 3rd inning with a 3 run HR. Unfortunately, that is all they would get offensively. Freeman and Dorris both pitched in relief.
Note: Ritchie is hitting .295 with 10 BB/5 SO in 14 games.
- Drew Ferguson, LF: 1-for-4, R, SB
- Ramon Laureano, RF: 0-for-2, R, BB
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 1-for-3, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Jamie Ritchie, C: 2-for-4
- Brock Dykxhoorn, RHP: 2.2 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 4 BB, 4 K
- Michael Freeman, LHP: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Jacob Dorris, RHP: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (18-9) lost 3-0 (BOX SCORE)
Rough offensive game for Buies Creek as they only managed 3 hits the whole game. Cuban pitcher, Yoanys Quiala, got the start and pitched pretty well allowing 2 runs in 5 innings with 6 strikeouts. He was relieved by Valdez who allowed 1 run in 3 innings with 4 strikeouts. Tucker walked once and stole 2 bases and Straw and Correa had a double but that was it for the offense.
Note: Tucker has 9 SB in 26 games
- Myles Straw, DH: 1-for-3, 2B, BB
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 0-for-3, BB, 2 SB
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 1-for-3, BB, SB
- Christian Correa, C: 1-for-2, 2B, BB
- Yoanys Quiala, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
- Framber Valdez, LHP: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (13-11) lost 4-0 (BOX SCORE)
Just like Buies Creek, the Quad Cities’ bats struggled last night too. DeGoti picked up 2 singles and Dawson had a hit and a walk. LaRue got the start and while he allowed 4 runs, he struck out 8 in 5 innings. The bullpen was solid with Hunt going 3 scoreless and Sandoval tossing a scoreless 9th.
Note: LaRue has a 2.16 ERA with 26 K in 25 IP this season.
- Carson LaRue, RHP: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 8 K
- Dustin Hunt, RHP: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Edgardo Sandoval, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: David Martinez (6.65 ERA)
CC: Cy Sneed (5.40 ERA)
BC: Hector Perez (0.00 ERA)
QC: Brett Adcock (1.02 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Kiel Maddox/Fresno Grizzlies**