Astros Minor League Recap: May 15th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (15-23) lost 4-1 (BOX SCORE)
Coleman started last night for Fresno and started the game well tossing 3 scoreless innings but ended up allowing 4 runs over 5.2 innings. The offense struggled to get anything going and was being shutout until they got a run in the 9th on a Tucker sac fly. Comer and Thompson both had scoreless outings in relief.
Note: Comer has a 0.47 ERA with 22 K in 19 innings for Fresno.
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Teoscar Hernandez, DH: 2-for-4
- Preston Tucker, RF: 0-for-3, RBI
- Colin Moran, 3B: 1-for-2, BB
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 1-for-3
- Juan Centeno, C: 2-for-3, 2B
- Casey Coleman, RHP: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
- Kevin Comer, LHP: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Ryan Thompson, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (17-20) lost 4-0 (BOX SCORE)
Really rough night for the offense as they managed just 2 hits, a Ferguson double and a Stubbs single. Dykxhoorn got the start and allowed 4 runs on 10 hits in 5.2 innings. Ferrell tossed 2.1 scoreless innings with 3 strikeouts, very nice to see after his has struggled recently.
Note: After a slow start, Ferguson is now hitting .299 this season.
- Drew Ferguson, LF: 1-for-3, 2B, BB
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 1-for-4
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 0-for-3, BB
- Jamie Ritchie, DH: 0-for-2, BB
- Kristian Trompiz, SS: 1-for-3
- Cy Sneed, RHP: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K (WIN)
- Michael Freeman, LHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Jacob Dorris, RHP: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (23-15) won 4-2 (BOX SCORE)
Valdez got the start for Buies Creek last night and was phenomenal. He tossed 6 shutout innings allowing just 2 hits. The game was scoreless going into the 7th but Hermelyn broke the tie with a 2 run HR. Myrtle Beach tied the game with 2 in the bottom of the 7th but bounced right back with back to back RBI doubles from Martin and Straw to take a 4-2 lead. Garza tossed 2 scoreless innings to close it out.
Note: Valdez has a 2.56 ERA with 36 K in 31.2 innings this season.
- Jason Martin, LF: 1-for-4, R, 2B, RBI
- Myles Straw, CF: 1-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 1-for-3, BB
- Anthony Hermelyn, C: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 2-for-3, R, 2B, BB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 2-for-4
- Anibal Sierra, SS: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Framber Valdez, LHP: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Sabastian Kessar, LHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K (WIN)
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (17-18) won 7-1 (BOX SCORE)
LaRue was on the mound for the River Bandits yesterday and was fantastic again. He went 6 innings allowing just 1 unearned run with 7 strikeouts, lowering his ERA to 1.54. Robinson got QC on the board with a solo HR in the 4th inning, his 2nd of the season. Jones joined the party with a solo HR in the 5th to make it 2-0. Burlington got 1 run back but Quad Cities responded with two more runs on an error and an Alvarez sac fly. In the 7th, QC added 3 more runs on a Wrenn RBI double, in which he also scored on an error, and a sac fly by Almonte.
Note: Robinson is hitting .351 with 2 HR, 7 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 1-for-3, R, 2B, BB
- Stephen Wrenn, RF: 1-for-4, R, 2B, RBI
- Rodrigo Ayarza, SS: 1-for-3, 2 R, BB
- Chuckie Robinson, C: 1-for-2, 2 R, HR, RBI, 2 BB
- Marcos Almonte, 2B: 1-for-2, RBI, SB
- Yordan Alvarez, DH: 0-for-3, RBI
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 1-for-3, R, HR, RBI
- Carson LaRue, RHP: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K (WIN)
- Abdiel Saldana, RHP: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: David Martinez (6.67 ERA)
CC: Kyle Smith (4.03 ERA)
BC: Elieser Hernandez (5.46 ERA)
QC: Dustin Hunt (5.40 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Hunter Reed**