Astros Minor League Recap: May 14th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (15-22) lost 14-5 (BOX SCORE)
Martes got the start but struggled once again allowing 5 runs over 3 innings with more walks than strikeouts (4 BB/3 K). Moran got the Grizzlies on the board with a solo HR in the 2nd inning, his 4th HR of the season. Fisher extended his hit streak to 17 games with an RBI double in the 6th inning. Kemp added an RBI double in the 7th inning making it a 10-3 deficit for Fresno. OKC added 4 more in the 8th to make it 14-3. Kemp had an RBI single in the 9th and Kemmer added a sac fly but it wasn’t nearly enough.
Note: Kemp collected 5 hits yesterday and is hitting .326 over his last 10 games.
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 5-for-5, R, 3 2B, 2 RBI
- Derek Fisher, LF: 1-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 1-for-5
- Max Stassi, C: 0-for-2, 2 BB
- Colin Moran, 3B: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Reid Brignac, SS: 1-for-3, R
- Andrew Aplin, CF: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Francis Martes, RHP: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 K
- Brian Holmes, LHP: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Ashur Tolliver, RHP: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
- Aaron West, RHP: 1.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (17-19) won 4-0 (BOX SCORE)
Back to back wins for the Hooks. Sneed was on the mound for Corpus yesterday and was dominant striking out 9 over 5.1 scoreless innings. Davis walked and eventually scored on a wild pitch in the first inning to take a 1-0 lead. Singleton continued his hot hitting crushing a 2 run HR in the 6th to make it 3-0. Stubbs added some insurance with an RBI single in the 7th. Freeman and Dorris both had scoreless outings in relief to seal the win.
Note: Dorris has 27 K in 19.1 innings this season.
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 1-for-4
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 1-for-4, RBI
- Ramon Laureano, RF: 2-for-4
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 0-for-3, 2 R, BB
- Jon Singleton, DH: 2-for-3, R, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Trent Woodward, 2B: 1-for-3
- Kristian Trompiz, SS: 1-for-3
- Cy Sneed, RHP: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 K (WIN)
- Michael Freeman, LHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Jacob Dorris, RHP: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (22-15) lost 10-6 (BOX SCORE)
Quiala got the start yesterday for Buies Creek and was rolling tossing 5 scoreless to start it. Unfortunately he ran into some trouble in the 6th allowing 4 runs. Buies Creek scored first on an RBI single by Birk in the 4th inning. Buies Creek went into the 7th down 4-2 but rallied for 3 runs on a Hermelyn RBI single and a Birk 2 run double. Down East tied the game in the 8th but the Buies Creek would re-take the lead on a Tucker RBI groundout. Unfortunately, Down East didn’t go away and won the game on a walk-off grand slam.
Note: Straw is hitting .300 over his last 10 games.
- Myles Straw, CF: 2-for-5, R, 3B
- Kyle Tucker, DH: 0-for-4, 2 R, RBI, SB
- Anthony Hermelyn, C: 1-for-5, R, RBI
- Pat Porter, LF: 2-for-4, BB
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 4-for-5, 3 RBI
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 2-for-4
- Osvaldo Duarte, SS: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Arturo Michelena, 3B: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Yoanys Quiala, RHP: 5.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Patrick Sandoval, LHP: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Carlos Sierra, RHP: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (16-18) OFF
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Casey Coleman (8.38 ERA)
BC: Framber Valdez (3.16 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Kiel Maddox/Fresno Grizzlies**