Astros Minor League Recap: April 27th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (9-12) lost 8-1 (BOX SCORE)
Holmes was the starting pitcher for the Grizzlies last night and was okay going 5 innings and allowing 3 runs. The offense scored just 1 run when Brignac scored on an error in the 6th. The bullpen of West and Comer allowed 5 runs, though just 2 earned. The offense wasn’t able to get anything going against Reno.
- Derek Fisher, CF: 2-for-5
- Preston Tucker, LF: 2-for-4, BB
- Reid Brignac, SS: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Juan Centeno, C: 1-for-3, BB
- Brian Holmes, LHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 2 K
- Aaron West, RHP: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Kevin Comer, RHP: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (12-8) lost 6-3 (BOX SCORE)
James was on the mound for the Hooks and pitched well allowing 1 run in 4.2 innings of work with 6 strikeouts. Corpus got all three of their runs in the 3rd inning on a Hyde RBI single, Davis steal of home, and Woodward RBI single. Corpus held a 3-1 lead all the way until the 7th when Midland tied it up with 2 runs. The game would stay tied until the 10th thanks to a solid relief outing from Garza. In the 10th, Midland scored 3 runs on Peterson and the Hooks were unable to mound a comeback.
Note: Stubbs has 6 hits in 4 games since returning from the DL and is now hitting .300 this season
- Bobby Boyd, CF: 2-for-4, BB
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 2-for-5, R, SB
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 2-for-5, R
- Mott Hyde, 2B: 2-for-4, R, RBI, SB
- Trent Woodward, DH: 1-for-4, RBI
- Bryan Muniz, 1B: 3-for-4, 2 2B
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 1-for-3, SB
- Joshua James, RHP: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 K
- Ryan Deemes, RHP: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Eric Peterson, RHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (14-7) won 2-0 (BOX SCORE)
The rain shortened this game to six innings but the Astros were able to get the win. Bower got the start and was tremendous pitching the complete game shutout with 1 BB/5 K. Buies Creek got on the board in the first inning when Sewald singled and scored on a Martin sac fly. They would get one more in the 4th on a Duarte RBI single. That was plenty though as Bower shut down Winston-Salem.
Note: Bower brought his season ERA down from 6.17 to 4.08 in last night’s start.
- Jason Martin, RF: 1-for-2, 2B, RBI, SB
- Kyle Tucker, LF: 0-for-2, BB
- Pat Porter, 1B: 0-for-1, R, 2 BB, SB
- Ryne Birk, 3B: 1-for-3, SB
- Osvaldo Duarte, 2B: 2-for-2, RBI
- Johnny Sewald, RF: 2-for-3, R, 2 SB
- Matt Bower, LHP: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K (WIN)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (11-10) lost 10-5 (BOX SCORE)
Perez, the Cuban lefty, made his Astros system debut last night and it didn’t go as we all hoped. His first two innings were very good (2 IP, 0 R, 4 K) but the wheels fell off in the 3rd. He ended up allowing 7 runs, 6 earned in 2.2 innings. Clinton finished the inning scoring 9 times. Quad Cities tried to battle back with 2 in the 5th on a Jones 2 run double. They would get 3 more in the 7th on a Benedetti 2 run double and Cesar scoring on a wild pitch. Adcock tossed 4 innings in relief allowing just 1 unearned run with 4 strikeouts. Unfortunately, the 9 run 3rd inning was too much to overcome.
Note: Cesar is hitting .288 with 3 HR, 10 RBI this season.
- Stephen Wrenn, CF: 1-for-4, R
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 2-for-4, R
- Rodrigo Ayarza, 2B: 1-for-4, R
- Daz Cameron, LF: 0-for-4, 2 R
- Taylor Jones, 1B: 1-for-3, 2B, 2 RBI
- Carmen Benedetti, DH: 1-for-3, 2B, 2 RBI
- Cionel Perez, LHP: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Salvador Montano, LHP: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- Brett Adcock, LHP: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: David Martinez (6.89 ERA)
CC: Cy Sneed (6.08 ERA)
BC: Franklin Perez (0.00 ERA)
QC: Forrest Whitley (0.00 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**