Astros Minor League Recap: April 26th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (9-11) OFF
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (12-7) won 5-3 (BOX SCORE)
Armenteros has had a tremendous start to the season and he pitched well last night too. He went 4.2 innings allowing 2 runs with 5 strikeouts. Singleton got the Hooks on the board in the first inning with a 2 run HR to right field, his 2nd of the season. In the 4th inning Stubbs started the inning with a double, stole third, and scored on a Ritchie RBI groundout. Nunez added a sac fly in the 6th and Davis capped off the scoring with a solo HR in the 7th, his 5th HR of the season. Thome tossed 2 scoreless innings in relief. Freeman closed out the game allowing 1 run in 2.1 innings.
Note: Armenteros has 7 BB/27 K in 19.1 innings this season.
- Ramon Laureano, RF: 1-for-4, R
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 1-for-3, R, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 2-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Garrett Stubbs, DH: 3-for-4, 2 R, 2B, SB
- Mott Hyde, 2B: 1-for-2, 2B, SB
- Jamie Ritchie, C: 0-for-2, RBI, BB
- Rogelio Armenteros, RHP: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Andrew Thome, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K (WIN)
- Michael Freeman, LHP: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
A+: Buies Creek Astros (13-7)
GAME 1 – lost 12-6 (BOX SCORE)
Winkleman was on the hill in game 1 for the Astros. While he has been phenomenal this season, yesterday he got roughed up. He allowed 6 hits and 5 runs recording just 2 outs in the first inning before he was pulled. The offense battled right back getting 5 runs in the 2nd inning on a Sierra RBI single, Martin 2 run single, Tucker RBI single and a McCall RBI single to tie it at 5. Kessay relieved Winkelman and had some trouble himself allowing 5 runs in 2.2 innings. Buies Creek would get one more in the 5th on a Hermelyn RBI double. The deficit was too much though as the Astros fell 12-6.
- Jason Martin, RF: 2-for-4, R, 2 RBI
- Myles Straw, LF: 1-for-4
- Kyle Tucker, DH: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 2-for-4, R, 2B, RBI
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 1-for-3, R, 2B
- Anthony Hermelyn, C: 1-for-2, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- Johnny Sewald, CF: 1-for-3, R
- Anibal Sierra, SS: 1-for-3, R, RBI
- Alex Winkelman, LHP: 0.2 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Sebastian Kessay, LHP: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
- Carlos Sierra, RHP: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
GAME 2 – won 5-3 (BOX SCORE)
Buies Creek got their revenge in game two. Tucker got the scoring started with a 2 run triple off the right field wall. He would later score on a balk to make it 3-0. Ferrell got the start in game two and was very good allowing just 1 run over 5 innings with 7 strikeouts. Sewald added an RBI double in the 2nd inning. He would go on to hit 3 doubles in the game. The Astros got one more run 5th on a Tucker RBI single. Winston-Salem battled getting 2 runs in the 6th but it wasn’t enough.
Note: Tucker is hitting .319 with 12 XBH and 20 RBI in 19 games.
- Johnny Sewald, CF: 3-for-4, 2 R, 3 2B, RBI
- Myles Straw, RF: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Kyle Tucker, LF: 2-for-3, R, 3B, 3 RBI
- Anibal Sierra, SS: 1-for-3, 2B
- Pat Porter, DH: 1-for-3, R
- Justin Ferrell, RHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K (WIN)
- Gabriel Valdez, RHP: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (11-9) won 6-1 (BOX SCORE)
The Astros 2016 14th rounder, Carson LaRue, was on the mound for the River Bandits and was great. He tossed 5 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts lowering his season ERA to 0.90. Dawson, who has been on fire, lead-off the home half of the first inning with a solo HR, his 4th HR of the season. In the 4th inning Cesar connected on a 2 run HR, his 3rd HR of the season. Ayarza added to the lead with a 2 run double in the 6th to make it 5-0. Peoria got 1 run in the 7th but Rogers got the run right back with a solo HR, his 4th. Pinales pitched a scoreless 9th to close it out.
Note: Dawson is hitting .350 with 4 HR, 11 RBI in his last 9 games.
- Ronnie Dawson, DH: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Jake Rogers, C: 1-for-3, R, HR, RBI, BB
- Spencer Johnson, 1B: 1-for-4, R
- Stephen Wrenn, RF: 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Daz Cameron, CF: 1-for-3, R, 2B, BB
- Ray Henderson, 2B: 1-for-3, R
- Carson LaRue, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K (WIN)
- Abdiel Saldana, RHP: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Erasmo Pinales, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Brian Holmes (7.43 ERA)
CC: Joshua James (2.08 ERA)
BC: Matt Bower (6.17 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**