Astros Minor League Recap: April 20th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (7-8) won 10-3 (BOX SCORE)
Fresno took a big, early lead in this game scoring five runs in the first inning on a Reed RBI single, Moran 2 run single, and Kemmer 2 run single. Frias started the game for the Grizzlies and went 5 innings allowing 2 runs. Reed an another RBI single in the 2nd inning to make it 6-2 Fresno. Thompson made his AAA debut allowing 1 run over 2 innings of work. Fresno capped off the game scoring 4 runs in the 8th inning on a Centeno RBI triple, White RBI double, another Reed RBI single and another run scoring on a wild pitch.
Note: Rodgers now has a 1.10 ERA allowing just 2 ER in 16.1 IP (1 BB/11 K)
- Derek Fisher, CF: 3-for-4, 2 R, BB, SB
- Colin Moran, 3B: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 3-for-5, R, 3 RBI
- Tyler White, 2B: 1-for-3, 2 R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB
- Preston Tucker, DH: 3-for-4, R,BB
- Teoscar Hernandez, LF: 1-for-4, R, BB
- Jon Kemmer, RF: 2-for-4, 2 RBI
- Juan Centeno, C: 2-for-4, R, 3B, RBI
- Edison Frias, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Ryan Thompson, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Tyson Perez, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (9-4) won 7-6 (BOX SCORE)
Corpus scored first last night getting 3 runs in the top of the 3rd on a Garcia 3 run HR, his 3rd HR of the season. Emanuel was on the mound, and while he started well, he ended up allowing 4 runs in the 4th inning. He did strikeout 7 over his 4 innings of work. Corpus tied the game at 4 in the 6th inning on a Muniz RBI single. The game would stay tied thanks to scoreless outings from Peterson and Ferrell. The Hooks got two runs in the top of the 9th with a run scoring on a bases loaded HBP and a bases loaded walk. Unfortunately, Frisco tied it up with 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th. Davis broke the tie in the 11th with a solo HR, which proved the be the game winner. Dorris pitched a 1-2-3 9th to pick up the save.
Note: Garcia has 3 HR, 11 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 1-for-5, R, BB
- Ramon Laureano, RF: 1-for-5, 2 R, BB
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 2-for-5, 2B, BB
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 1-for-5, 2 R, HR, RBI, BB
- Alejandro Garcia, LF: 3-for-5, R, HR, 4 RBI, SB
- Jack Mayfield, 2B: 1-for-4, R, RBI, 2 BB, SB
- Jamie Ritchie, C: 2-for-5, 2 2B, BB
- Bryan Muniz, DH: 1-for-4, RBI, BB
- Kent Emanuel, LHP: 4.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 7 K
- Eric Peterson, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Riley Ferrell, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Michael Freeman, LHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 1 K
- Jacob Dorris, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (11-4) won 14-1 (BOX SCORE)
Buies Creek is rolling right now. Franklin Perez got the start and was phenomenal tossing 5 scoreless innings allowing just 2 hits and striking out 7. Buies Creek got the scoring started in the 2nd inning on a Sierra RBI single. They would explode for 7 runs in the 2nd inning. In that inning they got a 2 run triple from Birk, Duarte RBI single, Straw 2 run double, Tucker RBI single, and another run scoring on error. Duarte added an RBI groundout in the 4th inning. In the 5th they put up 4 more runs on an RBI walk to Birk, RBI walk to Hermelyn and a 2 run double from Duarte. They got one final run in the 6th on a Tucker RBI double. Perez was relieved by Bower who went 4 innings allowing 1 run with 5 strikeouts.
Note: Tucker has 14 RBI over his last 9 games.
- Jason Martin, LF: 1-for-6, 2 R
- Myles Straw, RF: 3-for-5, 3 R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB
- Kyle Tucker, CF: 2-for-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, SB
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 1-for-5, R, BB
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 2-for-5, 3 R, 3B, 3 RBI, BB
- Anthony Hermelyn, C: 1-for-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB
- Pat Porter, DH: 2-for-6, 2B
- Osvaldo Duarte, 3B: 2-for-5, R, 2B, 4 RBI, SB
- Anibal Sierra, SS: 1-for-3, R, RBI
- Franklin Perez, RHP: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K (WIN)
- Matt Bower, LHP: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (8-6) won 8-2 (BOX SCORE)
LaRue made his 3rd outing of the season and continues his solid start. He went 5 innings allowing just 1 run with 4 strikeouts. Quad Cities got on the board with 3 runs in the 2nd inning a 2 run double from Robinson and an RBI single from Almonte. Johnson added a 2 run single in the 5th to extend the lead to 5-1. Hunt relieved LaRue and tossed 3 scoreless innings. In the bottom of the 8th, Wrenn hit a 2 run HR (his 3rd) and Rogers added a solo HR (his 2nd). Velazquez closed it out in the 9th allowing an unearned run.
Note: Rogers is hitting .375 (12-for-32) with 4 2B, 2 HR, 6 RBI during his current 10 game hitting streak.
- Alex DeGoti, SS: 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Stephen Wrenn, RF: 2-for-5, R, HR, 2 RBI, SB
- Jake Rogers, C: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, RBI
- Spencer Johnson, 1B: 1-for-3, R, 2 RBI, BB
- Rodrigo Ayarza, 2B: 3-for-4, R, 2B
- Chuckie Robinson, DH: 1-for-4, R, 2B, 2 RBI
- Daz Cameron, CF: 0-for-1, 3 BB, SB
- Marcos Almonte, LF: 1-for-4, RBI
- Carson LaRue, LHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K (WIN)
- Dustin Hunt, RHP: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Derick Velazquez, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Brian Holmes (5.79 ERA)
CC: Joshua James (0.00 ERA)
BC: Yoanys Quiala (0.00 ERA)
QC: Brett Adcock (1.00 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Richard Guill**