Astros Minor League Recap: April 19th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (6-8) won 1-0 (BOX SCORE)
Rodgers got the start for the Grizzlies and was very good once again, though he was pulled after 4.1 scoreless innings. He left the game after meeting with the trainer but no word on an injury yet. Rodgers was only at 49 pitches. He was relieved by West who tossed 1.2 scoreless innings. The offense struggled to get anything going managing just four hits heading into the 9th. Fortunately the bullpen was great with Comer and Diaz also putting up scoreless efforts. In the bottom of the 9th with two outs, Jon Kemmer drew a walk. He advanced to third on a throwing error on a pick-off attempt. With the winning run at 3rd, Moran came through with a walk-off RBI single to give Fresno the win.
Note: Rodgers now has a 1.10 ERA allowing just 2 ER in 16.1 IP (1 BB/11 K)
- Derek Fisher, RF: 1-for-4
- Colin Moran, LF: 1-for-3, RBI, BB
- Preston Tucker, DH: 1-for-2
- Jon Kemmer, PH/DH: 0-for-1, R, BB
- Andrew Aplin, CF: 1-for-2
- Brady Rodgers, RHP: 4.1 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- Aaron West, RHP: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Kevin Comer, RHP: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Dayan Diaz, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (WIN)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (8-4) OFF
A+: Buies Creek Astros (10-4) won 4-3 (BOX SCORE)
Ferrell was on the mound for the Astros last night, and while he struggled with his command a bit, he ended up allowing just 2 runs over 4 innings of work. Buies Creek was held scoreless until the 5th inning with they put up 3 runs on a wild pitch, an RBI triple from Straw and a Duarte RBI single. Ferrell was relieved by Garza who went 1.2 scoreless innings with 3 strikeouts. Buies Creek added another run in the 6th on an de Oleo RBI triple. Hernandez pitched the next two innings allowing 1 run to score. Deemes got the last out of the 8th and pitched a perfect 9th to pick up the save and preserve the 4-3 win.
Note: Deemes now has 0 BB/6 K in 3 scoreless inning this season.
- Myles Straw, CF: 2-for-5, R, 3B, RBI
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 3-for-4
- Osvaldo Duarte, 2B: 1-for-4, RBI, SB
- Christian Correa, C: 1-for-4, 2 R, 2B
- Eduardo de Oleo, DH: 1-for-3, R, 3B, RBI, BB
- Justin Ferrell, RHP: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 4 K
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K (WIN)
- Nick Hernandez, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Ryan Deemes, RHP: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (7-6) won 4-3 (BOX SCORE)
Quad Cities is really rolling. Hartman got the start and was phenomenal going 6 innings allowing just 1 run. Quad Cities got on the board early on a Wrenn RBI double in the first inning. They would add 3 more in the 4th on a 2 run double from Johnson and an RBI single from Robinson. In the 6th inning, Almonte hit 2 run HR, his 3rd HR in 3 games. Spencer Johnson added a solo HR in the 8th to cap off the scoring. Pinales pitched the final 3 innings allowing just 1 run as he picked up the save.
Note: Cesar is hitting .368 with 2 HR, 8 RBI over his last 10 games.
- Ronnie Dawson, RF: 1-for-5, 2B
- Alex DeGoti, SS: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Chuckie Robinson, C: 2-for-4, RBI
- Stephen Wrenn, LF: 1-for-3, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- Spencer Johnson, 1B: 2-for-3, 3 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 2-for-3, R, BB
- Marcos Almonte, 2B: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Ray Henderson, DH: 1-for-4
- Ryan Hartman, LHP: 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K (WIN)
- Erasmo Pinales, RHP: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Edison Frias (4.82 ERA)
CC: Kent Emanuel (7.88 ERA)
BC: Franklin Perez (0.00 ERA)
QC: Carson LaRue (0.90 ERA)
**Photo Credit: RJ Hennessy Photography**