Astros Minor League Recap: April 18th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (5-8) lost 6-1 (BOX SCORE)
The struggles continue for Fresno. Yuhl was on the mound last night and he got roughed up early allowing 5 runs in the 2nd inning. He finished allowing all 6 runs in 5 innings of work. Fresno got their 1 run on a Kemmer RBI single. Fisher and Tucker both added two hits a piece but the offense couldn’t get anything else working. Jankowsko, Guduan, and Hoyt all had scoreless relief appearances but the offense was unable to muster any runs after the 2nd.
Note: Tucker is hitting .333 in 11 games this season.
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 1-for-4
- Derek Fisher, CF: 2-for-4, 2B
- A.J. Reed, 1B: 1-for-4, 2B
- Colin Moran, 3B: 1-for-3, BB
- Preston Tucker, DH: 2-for-4, R
- Jon Kemmer, LF: 1-for-4, RBI
- Keegan Yuhle, RHP: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- Jordan Jankowski, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Reymin Guduan, LHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- James Hoyt, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (8-4) won 10-9 (BOX SCORE)
Crazy back and forth game down in Corpus Christi last night. NW Arkansas got two in the first but Corpus responded with two of their own in the first inning. NW Arkansas got 2 more in the 3rd, but once again the Hooks battled back getting a 3 run HR from Davis in the bottom of the inning. NW Arkansas would again take the lead with 3 more runs in the 4th. Corpus chipped away at the lead getting 1 run in the 4th on a Ferguson RBI double and 2 in the 5th on Woodward and Nunez RBI singles. Hyde added an RBI single in the 7th and another run came around to score on a wild pitch in the 8th. Smith got the start for the Hooks and didn’t last long allowing 4 runs in 2.2 innings. The bullpen had a tough time too. Thornton gave up 2 runs in the 9th but finished the game pitching the last five innings.
Note: On April 11th, Ferguson was hitting .125. Fast forward 7 games and he is now hitting .304.
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 3-for-5, R, RBI
- Ramon Laureano, RF: 1-for-4, 2 R, BB, SB
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 1-for-2, 2 R, 3 BB
- J.D. Davis, DH: 2-for-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
- Alejandro Garcia, LF: 2-for-5, R, 2B
- Jack Mayfield, 3B: 1-for-4, BB, SB
- Trent Woodward, C: 1-for-4, RBI
- Mott Hyde, 2B: 1-for-3, R, RBI, BB, SB
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 1-for-3, RBI
- Kyle Smith, RHP: 2.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Jacob Dorris, RHP: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Trent Thornton, RHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (WIN)
A+: Buies Creek Astros (9-4) lost 6-0 (BOX SCORE)
Tough night for the Buies Creek offense. Winkelman got the start and was phenomenal. He tossed 6 scoreless innings allowing just 1 hit with 0 BB/10 K. Unfortunately, the offense wasn’t able to give him any run support. Thome relieved Winkelman and allowed 6 runs, 4 earned, over his 1 inning of work and that was too much to overcome as Buies Creek lost 6-0. Duarte collected three hits, his second consecutive three hit game.
Note: Winkelman season line: 14.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 21 K
- Jason Martin, CF: 1-for-4
- Myles Straw, LF: 1-for-2, 2 BB, SB
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 0-for-3, BB
- Dexture McCall, DH: 0-for-3, BB
- Osvaldo Duarte, 2B: 3-for-4, SB
- Anibal Sierra, SS: 1-for-4
- Alex Winkelman, LHP: 6.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 10 K
- Andrew Thome, RHP: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Sebastian Kessay, LHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (6-6) won 12-2 (BOX SCORE)
Another offensive explosion for Quad Cities. Rogers got the game off to a nice start with an RBI triple in the first inning. In the 2nd inning the River Bandits put up 5 runs on an Almonte 3 run HR, Cameron solo HR, and Rogers RBI double. In the 3rd they added three more on a Cesar solo HR and a Dawson 2 run HR. Wrenn got in on the hit parade adding a solo HR in the 4th. Perez got the start for the River Bandits and was very good going 5.2 innings allowing 2 runs with 7 strikeouts. Quad Cities would add a couple more runs and it was more than enough for Sierra and Williams who both tossed scoreless outings in relief.
Note: DeGoti is now hitting .366 with 2 HR, 4 RBI in 12 games this season.
- Daz Cameron, CF: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 1-for-6, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI
- Alex DeGoti, SS: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B, BB
- Jake Rogers, C: 2-for-4, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI
- Stephen Wrenn, RF: 2-for-5, R, 2B, HR, RBI
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 2-for-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, RBI
- Marcos Almonte, DH: 2-for-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
- Rodrigo Ayarza, 2B: 2-for-4, R, 2B, RBI, BB
- Hector Perez, RHP: 5.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K (WIN)
- Carlos Sierra, RHP: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Lucas Williams, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Brady Rodgers (1.50 ERA)
BC: Justin Ferrell (10.57 ERA)
QC: Ryan Hartman (1.13 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**