Astros Minor League Recap: April 17th, 2017
Another day of baseball in the books. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (5-7) lost 6-2 (BOX SCORE)
Four losses in a row for Fresno. Martinez made another start for Fresno it didn’t go well allowing 10 hits and 4 runs over 6 innings pitching. Fresno scored their two runs on one swing of the bat, a 2 run HR from Tucker. The Grizzlies only managed to collect five hits on the night. West had a scoreless inning in relief. Mortensen also pitched in relief allowing 2 runs bringing his ERA to 13.50.
Note: Tucker has 10 RBI in 10 games this season.
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 1-for-4, 3B
- Colin Moran, 3B: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Preston Tucker, DH: 1-for-3, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Max Stassi, C: 1-for-3, 2B
- Jon Kemmer, LF: 2-for-3
- David Martinez, RHP: 6.0 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Aaron West, RHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Jared Mortensen, RHP: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (7-4) lost 9-7 (BOX SCORE)
Tough loss late for Corpus. Sneed got the start last night and was solid allowing 2 runs over his 5 innings of work. Corpus was down 5-0 going into the bottom of the 6th but got 3 runs on a Garcia RBI single and a Mayfield 2 run HR. NW Arkansas extended their lead to 6-3 in the top of the 7th but Corpus battled back again getting 3 runs to tie it on a Ferguson RBI single, Laureano sac fly, and a Garcia RBI groundout. The score would stay tied at 6 until the 13th inning. In the 13th, NW Arkansas put up 3 runs to take the lead. Corpus would get one back in the bottom of the 13th but it wasn’t enough. Stutzman was solid in relief allowing just 1 run in 3 innings. Thompson was great in relief his first 3.1 innings but ran into trouble in the 13th.
Note: Ferguson is on a 6 game hitting streak, hitting .360 with 4 RBI in that time.
- Drew Ferguson, LF: 2-for-7, R, RBI
- Ramon Laureano, RF: 1-for-5, R, RBI
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 2-for-5, 2B, BB
- Alejandro Garcia, CF: 3-for-6, R, 2 RBI
- Jack Mayfield, 2B: 2-for-6, 2 R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- Bryan Muniz, 1B: 1-for-6, R
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 3-for-5, R, RBI, BB
- Cy Sneed, RHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Eric Peterson, RHP: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Sean Stutzman, LHP: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Ryan Thompson, RHP: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Michael Freeman, LHP: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (9-3) won 4-2 (BOX SCORE)
Buies Creek continues to roll. Hernandez got the start last night and went 4.1 IP allowing 2 runs. BC manufactured a run in the first with Tucker walked, stole second, and scored on an RBI single from McCall. Down 2-1 in the 5th, Buies Creek scored 3 runs on a Martin sac fly, Straw RBI single, and Tucker RBI single. Bostick relieved Hernandez and continued his great pitching. He tossed 3.2 scoreless innings allowing just 1 hit with 4 strikeouts. Deemes pitched the 9th striking out 2 and picking up the save.
Note: Bostick has now tossed 14.2 scoreless innings with 13 K this season.
- Jason Martin, LF: 0-for-4, RBI
- Myles Straw, CF: 1-for-4, RBI
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 1-for-3, R, RBI, BB, SB
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 2-for-3, RBI, BB
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 1-for-3, 2B, BB
- Anthony Hermelyn, C: 0-for-3, R, BB
- Pat Porter, DH: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Osvaldo Duarte, SS: 3-for-4, R, SB
- Elieser Hernandez, RHP: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- Akeem Bostick, RHP: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K (WIN)
- Ryan Deemes, RHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (5-6) won 15-1 (BOX SCORE)
Great game for the Quad Cities offense. Their scoring started getting 4 runs in the 2nd inning on an Ayarza sac fly, Dawson 2 run triple, and another run scoring on an error. They would get 2 more in the 3rd on back to back homers from DeGoti and Rogers. They added another in the 4th on a Rogers RBI double. Alcala got the start and proved unhittable allowing just 1 hit over 5 scoreless innings. Quad Cities wasn’t near finished. Ayarza hit a 2 run HR in the 7th, his 3rd HR in the last two games. DeGoti would hit another solo HR in the 8th and a Johnson RBI double added another. To cap it off in the 9th, Cesar connected on a grand slam to to left field to give Quad Cities 15 runs. The bullpen was solid too allowing just 1 run in 4 innings.
Note: Sierra has a 2.57 ERA with 8 K in 7 IP this season.
- Daz Cameron, CF: 1-for-5, 2 R, 2B, BB
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 3-for-6, R, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI
- Alex DeGoti, SS: 4-for-4, 3 R, 3B, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Jake Rogers, C: 3-for-6, 2 R, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
- Stephen Wrenn, RF: 1-for-4, R, 2 BB, 2 SB
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 2-for-5, 2 R, 2B, HR, 4 RBI, BB
- Spencer Johnson, DH: 1-for-6, 2 R, 2B, RBI
- Rodrigo Ayarza, 2B: 1-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI
- Jorge Alcala, RHP: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 5 BB, 2 K
- Enoli Paredes, RHP: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- Abdiel Saldana, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Keegan Yuhl (8.22 ERA)
CC: Kyle Smith (5.14 ERA)
BC: Alex Winkelman (0.00 ERA)
QC: Hector Perez (2.25 ERA)
**Photo Credit: John Ginder**