Astros Minor League Recap: April 16th, 2017
Three of the four teams in action. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (5-6) lost 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
Tough loss late for the Grizzlies. Martes got the start last night, and while he didn’t allow any runs, he struggled with his command walking 6 in just 4.1 innings. Fresno got the scoring started on an RBI single from Kemmer in the 2nd inning. They added two more in the 5th on a White RBI single and another run when Fisher stole home. Salt Lake battled and got two back off of Perez but the Grizzlies still had a 3-2 lead. Tucker added an RBI single in the 8th to make it 4-2. Guduan came on in the 8th and got one out before heading back out for the 9th. Unfortunately, the 9th didn’t go well as Salt Lake scored a run on an RBI single, another on a throwing error by Guduan and the winning run scoring on a balk.
Note: White is now hitting .395 with a 10 game hitting streak.
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 2-for-5, R, SB
- Derek Fisher, LF: 0-for-4, R, BB, SB
- Tyler White, SS: 2-for-4, RBI, SB
- Teoscar Hernandez, CF: 1-for-3, 2 R, BB, 2 SB
- Preston Tucker, RF: 3-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Jon Kemmer, DH: 1-for-4, RBI
- Francis Martes, RHP: 4.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 6 BB, 7 K
- Tyson Perez, RHP: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Dayan Diaz, RHP: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Reymin Guduan, LHP: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (7-3) won 10-4 (BOX SCORE)
Dykxhoorn made his second start of the season for the Hooks and pitched well going 5 innings allowing just 2 runs. Ferguson got the game started right for the Hooks with a lead-off HR in the first inning. In the 2nd inning, the Hooks got an RBI single from Nunez to make it 2-0. Garcia added a solo HR in the 3rd to make it 3-0. Dykxhoorn was relieved by Dorris who allowed 1 run in his outing, which tied the game at 3. The Hooks responded immediately getting 2 runs in the bottom of the 7th on a Laureano RBI single and Singleton RBI groundout. They blew the game open in the 8th scoring 5 runs thanks to another Nunez RBI single, Ferguson 2 run single (another scored on an error) and a Singleton sac-fly. NW Arkansas got 1 run in the 9th but it wasn’t near enough.
Note: Laureano is hitting .416 (5-for-12) over his last 3 games with 5 RBI.
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 3-for-4, 3 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI
- Ramon Laureano, RF: 2-for-5, R, RBI
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 0-for-2, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 2-for-5
- Alejandro Garcia, LF: 3-for-5, 2 R, HR, RBI
- Mott Hyde, 2B: 1-for-2, R, BB, SB
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 2-for-4, R, 2 RBI
- Brock Dykxhoorn, RHP: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Jacob Dorris, RHP: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- Michael Freeman, LHP: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 0 K (WIN)
- Riley Ferrell, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (8-3) lost 6-2 (BOX SCORE)
Rough day for the offense outside of the first inning. In Tucker’s first at bat of the night, he connected on a 2 run HR, his 3rd HR of the season. Unfortunately, the offense would only muster 1 hit the rest of the game. Valdez got the started for Buies Creek and while he started well, he allowed 3 runs between the 5th and 6th innings. Winston-Salem played add on getting 2 runs on Garza and another on Hernandez.
Note: Martin is hitting .324 with a .422 OBP in 10 games.
- Jason Martin, DH: 1-for-2, 2 BB
- Myles Straw, CF: 0-for-4, R
- Kyle Tucker, LF: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Ryne Birk, 2B: 1-for-4
- Framber Valdez, LHP: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 7 K
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- Nick Hernandez, RHP: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (4-6) OFF
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: David Martinez (12.46 ERA)
CC: Cy Sneed (12.46 ERA)
BC: Nick Hernandez (1.42 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**