Astros Minor League Recap: April 14th, 2017
A walk-off, a late inning comeback, and much more. See how the teams and prospects performed in their games last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (5-4) lost 4-2 (BOX SCORE)
Tough night for the Fresno offense. They got 2 runs in the top of the 2nd on a Kemmer RBI triple and Brignac RBI double. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to mount put up any more runs after that. Frias started the game for the Grizzlies and struggled again. He allowed 4 runs in 5 innings with 5 BB/1 K. On the bright side, Perez and Jankowski both had scoreless outings out of the pen.
Note: Kemp is hitting .400 (14-for-35) with just 1 strikeout in 8 games this season
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 2-for-5
- Derek Fisher, LF: 1-for-3, 2 BB
- Tyler White, 3B: 3-for-4, R
- Jon Kemmer, RF: 1-for-4, R, 3B, RBI
- Reid Brignac, SS: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Edison Frias, RHP: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 1 K
- Tyson Perez, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Jordan Jankowski, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (5-3) won 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
The Hooks started the game off well scoring two runs in the first inning on a Laureano RBI double and a Davis RBI single. Unfortunately, Emanuel got roughed up in the second inning allowing 4 runs. He ended up going 4 innings allowing just those 4 runs (7.88 ERA this season). Riley Ferrell, making his Double-A debut, relieved Emanuel. He tossed a scoreless inning 1 strikeout. Deetz was the next guy out of the bullpen and continued to dominate Double-A. Deetz finished tossing 3.2 scoreless innings allowing just 1 hit (reportedly hit 97 MPH). The game stayed tied 4-2 until the 8th inning when Corpus would take the lead. They got 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th on a Ritchie 2 run single and a run scoring when Garcia was hit by a pitch. Deetz got two outs in the 9th before being relieved by Thompson, who got the final out for the save.
Note: Deetz now has gone 20.2 IP, 9 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 27 K (0.43 ERA) in four AA outings
- Drew Ferguson, CF: 1-for-4, R, BB, SB
- Ramon Laureano, RF: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 2B, RBI
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 0-for-3, R, BB
- J.D. Davis, 3B: 1-for-2, R, 2 BB
- Jamie Ritchie, C: 1-for-4, 2 RBI
- Alejandro Garcia, DH: 1-for-2, 2B, RBI
- Kent Emanuel, LHP: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Riley Ferrell, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Dean Deetz, RHP: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Ryan Thompson, RHP: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
A+: Buies Creek Astros (7-2) won 4-3 (BOX SCORE)
Buies Creek continues their hot start. They got their scoring started on a Martin solo HR to leadoff the 3rd inning, his first of the season. In the 4th inning, Martin added a 2 run single to extend the lead to 3-0. Bower started off the game well but 3 runs in the 4th and 5th innings allowing Winston-Salem to tie it up. Buies Creek battled right back getting a run on a Sewald solo HR to make it 4-3. Perez came in the game in the 6th inning and that pretty much sealed the game. He tossed four perfect innings to close it out, picking up the save, and keeping his High-A ERA at 0.00.
Note: After a solid game, Martin has his season average up to .300 with a .371 OBP.
- Jason Martin, CF: 2-for-5, R, HR, 3 RBI
- Osvaldo Duarte, SS: 1-for-4, 2B, BB
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 1-for-5, 3B
- Dexture McCall, DH: 1-for-3, 2B, BB
- Anthony Hermelyn, C: 2-for-4
- Pat Porter, 1B: 2-for-4, R
- Johnny Sewald, LF: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Matt Bower, LHP: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
- Ryan Deemes, RHP: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (WIN)
- Franklin Perez, RHP: 4.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (4-5) won 2-1 (BOX SCORE)
Adcock made his second start of the season and like his first start, he walked two and struck out eight in just a little over 4 innings (4.1 this game). He did allow 1 run, though it came after he was removed. The River Bandits got their first run of the night on a Rogers RBI double. Kane County would tie it up in the 5th but the game would stay tied due to excellent relief outings from Pinales and Velazquez. In the bottom of the 11th, Cesar came through with a walk-off RBI single to give Quad Cities the win.
Note: Adcock now has 16 K in 9 IP this season.
- Daz Cameron, CF: 0-for-4, BB, SB
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 1-for-4, R, SB
- Jake Rogers, DH: 1-for-5, R, 2B, RBI
- Randy Cesar, 3B: 1-for-5, RBI
- Alex DeGoti, SS: 1-for-3, BB, SB
- Stephen Wrenn, RF: 1-for-3, BB
- Brett Adcock, LHP: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K
- Erasmo Pinales, RHP: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
- Derick Velazquez, RHP: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K (WIN)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Brian Holmes (5.06 ERA)
CC: Rogelio Armenteros (1.59 ERA)
BC: Yoanys Quiala (0.00 ERA)
QC: Edgardo Sandoval (2.25 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Richard Guill**