Houston Astros Minor League Recap: June 21st
Another night of Astros minor league play is in the books. See how the prospects performed last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (33-37) won 3-1 (BOX SCORE)
Great pitching leads the way for Fresno. Peacock got the start and went 8 innings allowing 1 unearned run with 6 strikeouts. Easily his best start of the season. Fresno got on the board in the first inning on an RBI single from Reed and an RBI groundout from White. In the bottom of the 8th Duffy crushed a solo HR to left center field to extend Fresno’s lead to 3-1. Chapman and Jankowski combined to throw a scoreless 9th to seal the win for Fresno. Reed is on a 6 game hitting streak and brought his average from .239 to .262 in those games.
- Colin Moran, 3B: 2-for-4, R
- AJ Reed, 1B: 2-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Tyler White, DH: 1-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Matt Duffy, SS: 1-for-3, R, HR, RBI
- Andrew Aplin, CF: 1-for-4, R
- Preston Tucker, LF: 1-for-4
- Brad Peacock, RHP: 8.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (WIN)
- Kevin Chapman, LHP: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Jordan Jankowski, RHP: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K (SAVE)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (48-23) won 5-1 (BOX SCORE)
Corpus starts off the second half of the season with another win. The Hooks put up four runs in the first thanks to an RBI single from Davis, RBI single Tanielu, and a run scoring on a wild pitch and an error. That was more than enough for the pitching staff. Grills started for the Hooks and continued his good pitching. He went 6 innings and allowed just 1 earned run. His AA ERA is now at 1.91. Corpus would add another run in the 9th on a Hyde RBI double. Thompson, who was recently promoted, went 2 no hit innings in his AA debut. Peterson closed the game with a scoreless 9th. Alex Bregman did not play after getting hit in the head the game before, though all reports say he is okay.
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 0-for-3, R, 2 BB, 2 SB
- Derek Fisher, CF: 1-for-3, R, 3B, BB, SB
- JD Davis, 3B: 2-for-5, RBI
- Nick Tanielu, 2B: 1-for-4, R, RBI
- Chase McDonald, 1B: 1-for-4
- Evan Grills, LHP: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- Ryan Thompson, RHP: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Eric Peterson, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
A+: Lancaster Jethawks (34-45) OFF
Jethawks were off but Boyd and Stubbs played in the California League All-Star game.
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (31-38) OFF
River Bandits were off but McCanna pitched in the Midwest League All-Star game.
- Kevin McCanna, RHP: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
A-: Tri-City ValleyCats (2-3) lost 8-3 (BOX SCORE)
Two big innings doom Tri-City. Wrenn lead the game off with a triple and scored on a RBI groundout from Almonte. Tri-City would add another run in the 2nd on a Cesar solo HR. Astros 2nd round pick, Ronnie Dawson, hit his first professional HR to give Tri-City a 3-0 lead. Kessay was rolling through the first 3 innings but gave up 3 runs in the 4th. Valdez relieved him and gave up 5 runs in the 7th inning to bring the deficit to 8-3. Unfortunately, TC wasn’t able to mount a comeback.
- Stephen Wrenn, DH: 1-for-5, R, 3B
- Ronnie Dawson, LF: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Carmen Benedetti, RF: 1-for-4
- Randy Cesar, 1B: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Rodrigo Ayarza, 2B: 2-for-4
- Marcos Almonte, SS: 0-for-4, RBI
- Sebastian Kessay, LHP: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- Framber Valdez, LHP: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Edgardo Sandoval, RHP: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Cesar Valdez (4.02 ERA)
CC: Edison Frias (2.74 ERA)
LAN: OFF (All-Star Break)
QC: OFF (All-Star Break)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**