Houston Astros Minor League Recap: May 20th
All four teams in action but only the Hooks walk away with a win. See how the prospects performed last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (16-24) lost 8-7 (BOX SCORE)
This was a back and forth game with Fresno ultimately losing by 1 run. Fresno got the scoring started with a Singleton 3 run HR in the first inning, his 9th HR of the season. Peacock got the start and wasn’t very good. He gave up 2 runs in the first and another 4 runs in the third. Fresno would tie the game with a 3 run HR from Matt Duffy in the 5th. Unfortunately, Memphis scored in the bottom of the inning to re-take the lead. Guduan and Gustave were great in relief but Fresno failed to score again.
- Andrew Aplin, CF: 0-for-3, R, 2 BB
- Danny Worth, 2B: 2-for-4, 3 R, 2B, BB
- Matt Duffy, 3B: 1-for-4, 2 R, HR, 4 RBI
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 1-for-3, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Jon Kemmer, DH: 1-for-3, BB, SB
- Brad Peacock, RHP: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 6 BB, 3 K
- Reymin Guduan, LHP: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Jandel Gustave, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (25-15) won 4-3 (BOX SCORE)
Hooks win another one, their 11th in a row, in 10 innings. Smith got the start for the Hooks and three scoreless before giving up 3 earned runs in the 4th inning. Corpus got on the board in the top of the 4th when Teoscar singled, stole second, and came around to score on a groundout. Tanielu made his debut for the Hooks and hit a 2 run HR in the top of the 7th to tie the game at three. The game would go to extra innings and Teoscar came through again with an RBI single. West picked up the win with 3.1 scoreless innings.
- Teoscar Hernandez, CF: 2-for-5, R, RBI, SB
- Alex Bregman, SS: 0-for-4, BB
- JD Davis, 3B: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Nick Tanielu, 2B: 1-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Alejandro Garcia, LF: 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Kyle Smith, RHP: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Chris Cotton, LHP: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Aaron West, RHP: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K (WIN)
A+: Lancaster Jethawks (18-21) won 8-3 (BOX SCORE)
Bower got the start in this one have striking out 10 in 5 innings in his Lancaster debut. Unfortunately this one didn’t go as well as he allowed five earned runs over 2.2 innings. The Jethawks got on the board in the 6th with a 2 run single from Muniz. They ended up scoring one more run on a Stubbs groundout but it wasn’t enough to overcome the deficit. Dorris was great in relief though throwing four shutout innings and striking out six.
- Ramon Laureano, RF: 0-for-4, R, BB
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 0-for-4, RBI, BB
- Brooks Marlow, 2B: 0-for-2, R, 2 BB
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Bryan Muniz, 1B: 1-for-4, 2 RBI
- Matt Bower, LHP: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 4 K
- Jacob Dorris, RHP: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (17-23) lost 9-0 (BOX SCORE)
Quad Cities has been very inconsistent this season. After scoring 9 runs in back to back games, they only managed 2 hits last night. Abreu got the start but struggled early on only lasting 0.2 innings and giving up 3 runs. Whitt was great in relief going 3.1 scoreless innings. Unfortunately Garza got roughed up a bit giving up 4 earned runs in his one inning pitched. Duarte and Correa are the only two that managed a hit, and both were singles.
- Albert Abreu, RHP: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Adam Whitt, RHP: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Brady Rodgers (3.73 ERA)
CC: David Paulino (1.74 ERA)
LAN: Dean Deetz (4.50 ERA)
QC: Jose Hernandez (5.00 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**