Houston Astros Minor League Recap: May 14th
All four teams in the Astros system in action with two teams winning and two teams losing last night. See how the prospects performed last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (15-20) lost 9-1 (BOX SCORE)
Peacock got the start for Fresno last night but it didn’t go so well. He gave up 5 earned runs in 5.1 innings. Jankowski came in relief and gave up 4 earned runs in 2.2 innings, though he did strike out six. Fresno struggled to get anything going offensively only scoring 1 run, which came in the 9th on an RBI double from Stassi. Stassi finished with two hits, both doubles and the RBI. Fresno only managed 7 hits on the night.
- Max Stassi, C: 2-for-4, 2 2B, RBI
- Matt Duffy, 1B: 1-for-4
- Jon Kemmer, RF: 1-for-3, BB
- Danny Worth, DH: 1-for-4, R, 2B
- Tony Kemp, 2B: 1-for-4
- Brad Peacock, RHP: 5.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (20-15) won 6-5 (BOX SCORE)
Nice to see Corpus get rolling winning their 6th game in a row. Paulino got the start and pitched very well going 5 shutout innings and allowing just 3 hits. Reports had his fastball sitting 95-96 topping out at 97 MPH. Corpus got on the board early when Teoscar hit a 2 run double to LF. Corpus added two more runs in the 5th with a Vasquez RBI single and Hyde scoring on a balk. Once again they added two more runs in the 8th with a JD Davis 2 run HR, his 3rd of the season. Kyle Smith pitched the second end of the tandem and pitched well until he gave up 3 runs in the 9th inning.
- Evan Gattis, DH: 1-for-4, BB
- Alex Bregman, SS: 0-for-2, R, 3 BB
- Derek Fisher, CF: 3-for-5, SB
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 1-for-5, 2B, 2 RBI
- JD Davis, 3B: 2-for-5, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Chase McDonald, 1B: 1-for-3, 2 R, 2B, 2 BB
- Danry Vasquez, LF: 2-for-4, RBI, BB
- Mott Hyde, 2B: 1-for-4, R, BB
- David Paulino, RHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (WIN)
- Kyle Smith, RHP: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
A+: Lancaster Jethawks (14-19) won 5-1 (BOX SCORE)
Back to back wins for Lancaster. Matt Bower was promoted to Lancaster and made his debut tonight. For QC he struck out 28 in 19.2 IP. Last night he was great going 5 innings allowing no runs and striking out 10. The offense scored one in the bottom of the first an RBI single from Tanielu. That is all they would get until the bottom of the 6th where they put up a four spot. Trompiz and Garcia both had an RBI in that inning. Hernandez pitched in relief and had one of his better outings of the season allowing just 1 run over 4 innings.
- Nick Tanielu, 3B: 2-for-4, R, RBI, SB
- Bobby Boyd, CF: 2-for-4, R, SB
- Ramon Laureano, CF: 1-for-3, R, 2B, BB
- Alejandro Garcia, RF: 0-for-4, R, RBI, SB
- Bryan Muniz, 1B: 1-for-3, 3B, BB
- Kristian Trompiz, SS: 1-for-3, R, RBI, BB, SB
- Matt Bower, LHP: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 K
- Elieser Hernandez, RHP: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K (WIN)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (14-21) played a double header.
GAME 1: lost 7-1 (BOX SCORE)
In the first game of the double header QC fell behind early. Albert Abreu got the start and while the strikeouts were there, he allowed 5 earned runs in just 3 innings of work. Garza came on in relief and allowed 2 earned runs in 3 innings. QC couldn’t get much going offensively but Tucker did have an RBI single scoring Nunez in the 6th inning.
- Albert Abreu, RHP: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
GAME 2: lost 6-1 (BOX SCORE)
Another rough game for QC as they struggle to find offense. As a team they are only hitting .224 on the season. Ferrell got the start and struggled with his command walking 3 in just 1.2 innings pitched. Note: it appears he may have left with an injury. Santos came on in relief and gave up 4 runs, 3 earned in just 1 inning. Thome was able to settle things down with 3.1 shutout innings. Offensively Tucker went 2-for-3 again and Correa added a double. Duarte had the only run of the game for QC scoring in the 6th.
- Justin Ferrell, RHP: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K
- Andrew Thome, RHP: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Brady Rodgers (3.75 ERA)
CC: Brian Holmes (4.39 ERA)
LAN: Dean Deetz (3.51 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**