Houston Astros Minor League Recap: April 28th
All four teams in the Astros system in action with Quad Cities playing a double header. See how the prospects performed last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (9-10) won 4-2 (BOX SCORE)
Nice night for Fresno. Starter Asher Wojciechowski went seven strong innings striking out nine and allowing just two runs. Gustave shut the door with a perfect ninth logging his sixth straight scoreless outing. On the offensive side, Fresno got solo homers from AJ Reed, Eury Perez, and Jon Singleton. Reed also drew two walks and now has 10 BB/15 SO on the season, a good ratio.
- AJ Reed, 1B: 1-for-2, R, HR, RBI, 2 BB
- Jon Singleton, DH: 2-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Eury Perez, RF: 3-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Asher Wojciechowski, RHP: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 9 K
- Jordan Jankowski, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Jandel Gustave, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (9-10) lost 8-1 (BOX SCORE)
Corpus has really hit a skid losing four in a row and it petty much started when Alex Bregman went down with the hamstring injury. They jumped out to a 1-0 lead but couldn’t add anything else only managing three hits in the game. Starter Kyle Smith gave up three runs, two earned in four innings of work. Reymin Guduan gave up his first run of the season but managed 2 strikeouts in the 9th. McCurry also struck out 3 in 2.0 innings last night.
- Chase McDonald, 1B: 1-for-3, RBI
- James Ramsay, LF: 1-for-3, BB
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Kyle Smith, RHP: 4.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
- Reymin Guduan, LHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
A+: Lancaster Jethawks (7-11) won 5-4 (BOX SCORE)
A walk-off win for Lancaster! Lancaster was down 4-3 going to the 9th inning and Jamie Ritchie came to bat with the bases loaded and two outs. Ritchie singled tying the game at 4. Next batter was Alejandro Garcia, still with the bases loaded. He was subsequently hit by the pitch for the walk-off. Laureano had three hits and was a homer shy of the cycle. Armenteros made his Lancaster debut and pitched well allowing just two earned runs in five innings.
- Nick Tanielu, PH: 1-for-1, R
- Ramon Laureano, LF: 3-for-4, R, 2B, 3B, BB
- Jason Martin, CF: 1-for-4, 2 R, 2B, BB
- Marc Wik, 3B: 1-for-3, BB
- Jamie Ritchie, C: 2-for-5, RBI
- Alejandro Garcia, RF: 1-for-4, 2 RBI
- Rogelio Armenteros, RHP: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
- Eric Peterson, RHP: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (9-12) won both games of the double header.
GAME 1: won 11-2 (BOX SCORE)
Quad Cities breaks out in a big way scoring 11 runs in just seven innings. Games like this are great when everyone gets involved. QC went down 1-0 after the first inning but responded with two runs in the bottom of the inning and never looked back. Everyone in the lineup had a hit with four guys having multi-hit games. Goedert was the story with a HR and 6 RBI.
- Osvaldo Duarte, DH: 2-for-4, 2 R, SB
- Kyle Tucker, CF: 1-for-2, 2 R, 3B, RBI, 2 BB
- Daz Cameron, RF: 1-for-4, R, 2 SB
- Brooks Marlow, 2B: 1-for-3, RBI, BB
- Anthony Hermelyn, C: 3-for-3, R, 2 2B, BB
- Connor Goedert, 3B: 2-for-3, R, 2B, HR, 6 RBI
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 2-for-4, R, 2 2B
- Johnny Sewald, LF: 1-for-4, R, SB
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 1-for-2, 2 R, RBI, BB
- Chris Murphy, RHP: 6.0 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Adam Whitt, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
GAME 2: won 3-0 (BOX SCORE)
A great day from Quad Cities as they sweep the doubleheader. The pitching dominated this game with Matt Bower going 5 IP while striking out 6. He has had a good season so far posting a 2.08 ERA with 24 K in 17.1 innings. The River Bandits only managed four hits but made them pay. McCall had a 2 run HR and Mizell added two triples. Ralph Garza finished the game with two scoreless innings.
- Connor Goedert, LF: 1-for-2, R, 2B
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 1-for-2, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Aaron Mizell, 2B: 2-for-2, R, 2 3B
- Matt Bower, LHP: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
- Ralph Garza, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Brady Rodgers (4.32 ERA)
CC: Brian Holmes (3.38 ERA)
QC: Kevin McCanna (2.84 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**