Houston Astros Minor League Recap: April 22nd
All four teams in action last night and Quad Cities won their fourth game in a row. See how the prospects performed last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (7-7) lost 8-1 (BOX SCORE)
Fresno’s offense has been scuffling and last night was no different getting only three hits and one run. The majority of the damage came in the 3rd inning where starter Asher Wojciechowski gave up five runs. Fresno also made four errors on the night leading to five unearned runs. Eury Perez collected two hits including a triple and Worth picked up the other hit.
- Asher Wojciechowski, RHP: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 K
- Cesar Valdez, RHP: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
- Juan Minaya, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (8-6) lost 9-3 (BOX SCORE)
Rough start for Francis Martes who only lased 0.2 IP giving up five runs. The five in the first proved insurmountable for the Hooks. The bullpen came in and gave some nice outings though. Brian Holmes pitched four innings allowing one run and striking out six. McCurry pitched a clean ninth with 2 Ks. Derek Fisher backed up his HR last night with an RBI double tonight. He is now hitting .231. Trent Woodward was on base three times and it hitting .438 in limited action.
- Derek Fisher, RF: 2-for-5, 2B, RBI
- James Ramsay, LF: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Danry Vasquez, LF: 1-for-3, BB
- Teoscar Hernandez, CF: 1-for-5, R
- Trent Woodward, C: 1-for-2, 2B, RBI, 2 BB
- Jack Mayfield, 2B: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Brian Holmes, LHP: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
A+: Lancaster Jethawks (5-8) lost 11-4 (BOX SCORE)
Lancaster lost a tough one 11-4. It was a tie game going into the bottom of the 8th and the Jethawks allowed sevens runs to give High Desert the lead. Some good offensive performances though. Jason Martin had three hits and a stolen base. Ramon Laureano was on base twice and stole two bases as well. Wik contributed with two runs driven in but it wasn’t enough to overcome the deficit.
- Bobby Boyd, DH: 1-for-5
- Jason Martin, RF: 3-for-4, 2 R, 3B, RBI, SB
- Ramon Laureano, CF: 0-for-2, R, 2 BB, 2 SB
- Marc Wik, 2B: 1-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Trent Thornton, RHP: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (6-10) won 3-2 (BOX SCORE)
Four game winning streak for the River Bandits. They have been able to win with stellar pitching and some timely hitting. The pitching has only allowed nine runs over the last four games. Starter Sebastian Kessay allowed one hit and one unearned run over four innings of work. While the River Bandits only had three hits, they were able to capitalize on Kane County’s two errors which led to all three runs being unearned. Deemes pitched another scoreless outing and McCanna allowed one run over four innings in the save.
- Kyle Tucker, LF: 1-for-4
- Brooks Marlow, 2B: 1-for-4, R
- Johnny Sewald, RF: 1-for-4, SB
- Bobby Wernes, 3B: 0-for-3, RBI, BB
- Sebastian Kessay, LHP: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Ryan Deemes, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K (WIN)
- Kevin McCanna, RHP: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K (SAVE)
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Brady Rodgers (2.45 ERA)
CC: Edison Frias (2.25 ERA)
LAN: Joshua James (5.14 ERA)
QC: Rogelio Armenteros (2.08 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Richard Guill**