Houston Astros Minor League Recap: April 21st
All four teams in action last night. See how the prospects performed last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (7-6) lost 9-6 (BOX SCORE)
Fresno jumped out to an early lead with 3 runs in the bottom of the 2nd inning thanks to an RBI double from Kemmer and a 2 run single from Santana. Unfortunately starter, Brad Peacock, gave up 4 runs the next half inning. Fresno’s bullpen came in and gave up five more runs. Jon Singleton had two homers but it wasn’t enough to overcome the 9 runs scored by Salt Lake.
- Tony Kemp, CF: 1-for-4, BB
- Colin Moran, DH: 1-for-5
- Jon Singleton, 1B: 4-for-4, 3 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Jon Kemmer, RF: 1-for-3, R, 2B, RBI
- Nolan Fontana, SS: 1-for-3, 2 RBI, BB
- Matt Duffy, 3B: 1-for-3, 2 R, BB
- Brad Peacock, RHP: 4.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Jandel Gustave, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (8-5) lost 5-2 (BOX SCORE)
Rough game overall for the Hooks. Frisco scored all five runs off of starter Kyle Smith in the first two innings. The pitchers who came in after Smith pitched really well. Michael Freeman threw two scoreless innings, David Paulino threw four scoreless innings and Guduan pitched a scoreless 9th. Unfortunately the Hooks’ offense was only able to muster two hits, One of the hits though was a deep blast, measured at 435 feet, from Derek Fisher which accounted for both Corpus Christi runs. Paulino has 16 K in 13 innings for the Hooks.
- Michael Freeman, LHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- David Paulino, RHP: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
- Reymin Guduan, LHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
A+: Lancaster Jethawks (5-7) lost 7-5 (BOX SCORE)
Lancaster got off to a good start scoring 3 runs in the first inning with HRs from Boyd and Tanielu. Starter Dean Deetz pitched a decent game but struggled with his command walking 6 in 4.2 innings. Lancaster battled but Bostick gave up another 5 runs. Nice game from Nick Tanielu though who picked up two hits including the HR.
- Bobby Boyd, RF: 1-for-4, R, HR, RBI, BB
- Jason Martin, CF: 1-for-4, R, 3B
- Nick Tanielu, 3B: 2-for-4, R, HR, RBI
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 1-for-2, R, 2B
- Kristian Trompiz, SS: 1-for-4, 2B, RBI
- Dean Deetz, RHP: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 6 BB, 2 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (5-10) won 4-3 (BOX SCORE)
Quad Cities picks up another win, their third win in a row. Starter Matt Bower went 4 innings giving up two runs while striking out nine. The QC bullpen came in and did their job securing the win. Kyle Tucker had two hits, including the hit that gave the River Bandits the lead in the 7th inning. Brooks Marlow and Anthony Hermelyn both added three hits as well.
- Osvaldo Duarte, SS: 1-for-5, R
- Kyle Tucker, DH: 2-for-5, 2B, RBI
- Brooks Marlow, 2B: 3-for-5, 2 R, 2B
- Anthony Hermelyn, C: 3-for-3, 2 2B, BB
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 2-for-4, RBI
- Matt Bower, LHP: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 9 K
- Chris Murphy, RHP: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
- Andrew Thome, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Asher Wojciechowski (9.72 ERA)
CC: Francis Martes (2.70 ERA)
LAN: Trent Thornton (4.50 ERA)
QC: Sebastian Kessay (38.57 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Richard Guill**