Houston Astros Minor League Recap: April 18th
All four teams in action and it was a split for the Astros minor league system. Corpus keeps on rolling and Quad Cities falls to a season low 2-10. See how the prospects performed last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (5-5) won 4-3 (BOX SCORE)
Fresno wins a close one to get back to .500. AJ Reed got the scoring started with a 2 run HR in the first inning, his third of the season. Fresno’s starter, Mike Hauschild, continues to perform at a nice level. He finished with 7 Ks in 7 IP while only giving up 1 run. He has a season ERA of 2.08. Hauschild could be a guy who gets a spot start in Houston at some point this season. Worth keeps raking with a 3-for-3 day and is now hitting .472.
- Tony Kemp, CF: 1-for-3, R, SB
- Danny Worth, SS: 3-for-3, R, 2B, RBI
- AJ Reed, 1B: 1-for-3, R, HR, 3 RBI
- Colin Moran, 3B: 1-for-3, BB, SB
- Andrew Aplin, CF: 0-for-3, R, BB, SB
- Mike Hauschild, RHP: 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K (WIN)
- Jordan Jankowski, RHP: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K (SAVE)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (8-3) won 6-0 (BOX SCORE)
Believe it or not, Bregman did not homer last night, He did reach base three times, drove in a run, and stole a base as well. The Hooks’s starter, Cy Sneed, had another great outing going 5 scoreless innings. This brings his total to 9 scoreless innings to start the season. Teoscar Hernandez had the big hit, a three run HR in the top of the 7th. Edison Frias relieved Sneed and ended up striking out 7 over 4 scoreless innings.
- Alex Bregman, SS: 1-for-3, RBI, 2 BB, SB
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 1-for-4, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB
- Conrad Gregor, 1B: 1-for-5, 3B, RBI
- JD Davis, 3B: 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Mott Hyde, 2B: 3-for-4, 2 R
- Cy Sneed, RHP: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K (WIN)
- Edison Frias, RHP: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K (SAVE)
A+: Lancaster Jethawks (4-5) lost 12-5 (BOX SCORE)
Lancaster’s pitching staff got hit hard last night for 12 runs on 14 hits. The offense scored five runs but it wasn’t enough. Bobby Boyd had a good game with two hits and another stolen base. Tanielu and Wik also contributed two hits but the Jethawks weren’t able to bring across many runs. Lancaster starter, Brock Dykxhoorn, has a decent outing giving up 2 ER over 4.2 innings.
- Bobby Boyd, DH: 2-for-5, R, RBI, SB
- Nick Tanielu, 2B: 2-for-5, R, 3B, SB
- Marc Wik, SS: 2-for-4, 2B
- Garrett Stubbs, C: 1-for-2, 2B, RBI, BB
- Jose Fernandez, SS: 3-for-4, 2 R, 2B, 2 SB
- Brock Dykxhoorn, RHP: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (2-10) lost 6-2 (BOX SCORE)
It has been a rough start for the River Bandits this season but this is somewhat expected with a very young team. Alex Winkelman gave up five runs in the first inning but ended up settling down and going into the 5th inning without giving up another run. Armenteros had another solid outing, one bright spot of QC so far. Cameron had another extra base hit and stolen base which is nice to see.
- Daz Cameron, CF: 1-for-3, R, 3B, BB, SB
- Antonio Nunez, SS: 1-for-4, R, 2 SB
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 1-for-3, BB
- Alex Winkelman, LHP: 4.2 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Rogelio Armenteros, RHP: 3.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Thomas Shirley (0.00 ERA)
CC: Keegan Yuhl (1.04 ERA)
LAN: Evan Grills (5.40 ERA)
QC: Jose Hernandez (5.14 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**