Houston Astros Minor League Recap: April 15th
Different day, same story. Alex Bregman with a home run for the Hooks. AJ Reed also homered again and raised his season BA to .310. Three out of four teams won as it was another good night on the farm. See how the other prospects performed last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (4-3) won 2-1 (BOX SCORE)
A pitcher’s duel in the PCL isn’t very common but Fresno was in one tonight. Brad Peacock got the start for Fresno and allowed no runs and just one hit through his five innings of work. In the bottom of the 6th, Danny Worth put the Grizzlies on the board with a solo HR. Las Vegas responded with a run of their own in the 7th, though unearned. In the bottom of the 8th, AJ Reed came to bat with one out and none out. Reed crushed a ball to CF for a solo HR to give Fresno the lead, his 2nd HR of the season. Kevin Chapman and James Hoyt both tossed scoreless innings to close out the win for Fresno.
- AJ Reed, 1B: 2-for-4, R, 2B, HR, RBI
- Danny Worth, 2B: 3-for-4, R, 2B, HR, RBI
- Colin Moran, Jon Kemmer, Tyler Heineman, and Nolan Fontana all went 1-for-3 on the night.
- Brad Peacock, RHP: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
- Jandel Gustave, RHP: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Kevin Chapman, LHP: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K (WIN)
- James Hoyt, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K (SAVE)
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (5-3) won 9-4 (BOX SCORE)
Welcome to the Alex Bregman show everyone. The Hooks entered the 6th inning up 4-3 and this is when the Hooks put it out of reach. Bregman came up with the bases loaded, two outs and crushed a ball to left field for a grand slam. His 4th home run on the season. David Paulino got the start and struggled through the first two innings giving up three runs. Peripherals were still good though. Jack Mayfield continued his hot start with two more hits. Michael Freeman contributed with three innings allowing one earned run. Brendan McCurry closed the game with two shutout innings to secure the 5th win on the season for the Hooks. Also of note, Kyle Smith was struck by a line drive by the first hitter he faced and he left as a precaution.
- Alex Bregman, SS: 2-for-5, R, HR, 4 RBI (GRAND SLAM)
- Teoscar Hernandez, RF: 2-for-5, R, 2 2B
- Ronnie Mitchell, LF: 1-for-4, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI
- Jack Mayfield, 2B: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI
- Alfredo Gonzalez, C: 1-for-3, 2 R, BB
- David Paulino, RHP: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
- Michael Freeman, LHP: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K (WIN)
- Brendan McCurry, RHP: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
A+: Lancaster Jethawks (3-3) won 2-1 (BOX SCORE)
Not the typical game in the California League with only three total runs crossing the plate. The scoring got started in the bottom of the 4th. Ramon Laureano hit a one out double, advanced to third on a passed ball and scored on a Nick Tanielu sacrifice fly. The Jethawks added a second run in the bottom of the 6th with an RBI single from Kristian Trompiz scoring Drew Ferguson. A potential breakout prospect of mine, Dean Deetz, got the start last night. Deetz went 6 innings only allowing 1 run. His season ERA is at 1.93 after 9.1 IP. Riley Ferrell record ed the save with 2 strikeouts in the 9th.
- Ramon Laureano, LF: 1-for-3, R, 2B
- Nick Tanielu, 3B: 0-for-2, RBI
- Drew Ferguson, RF: 2-for-3, R
- Kristian Trompiz, SS: 1-for-3, RBI
- Dean Deetz, RHP: 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K (WIN)
- Eric Peterson, RHP: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Riley Ferrell, RHP: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K (SAVE)
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (2-7) lost 4-1 (BOX SCORE)
Not much to talk about for this game. Quad Cities was held to one hit, a single by Bobby Wernes. Kyle Tucker also got on base a couple times, stole two bases, and scored the only run. The pitching wasn’t too bad. Starter Chris Murphy gave up 3 runs, all in the third inning. Matt Bower came in and pitched three innings in relief striking out five. Overall, the bats just couldn’t get it going.
- Chris Murphy, RHP: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Matt Bower, LHP: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Adam Whitt, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Asher Wojciechowski (10.80 ERA)
CC: Francis Martes (0.00 ERA)
LAN: Akeem Bostick (3.00 ERA)
QC: Sebastion Kessay (135.00 ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**