Houston Astros Minor League Recap: April 29th
All four teams in the Astros system in action. See how the prospects performed last night.
AAA: Fresno Grizzlies (9-11) lost 6-5 (BOX SCORE)
Tough loss for Fresno who battled back to tie the game in the 8th. Starter Brady Rodgers allowed 4 runs in 4.1 innings. Fresno got some decent offensive performances from Moran and Singleton who both had 2 RBI. AJ Reed also added an RBI double. After tying the game at 5 in the 8th, Hoyt took the mound in the 9th and gave up the winning run.
- AJ Reed, 1B: 1-for-2, R, 2B, RBI, 3 BB
- Colin Moran, 3B: 1-for-4, 2 RBI, BB
- Jon Singleton, DH: 2-for-4, R, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Jake Marisnick, CF: 1-for-6, 2 R, SB
- Brady Rodgers, RHP: 4.1 IP, 9 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
AA: Corpus Christi Hooks (9-11) lost 8-7 (BOX SCORE)
Just a rough stretch of baseball for the Hooks. At one point they were up 7-3 as they entered the bottom of the 8th inning. Unfortunately Francis Martes had a bad outing giving up 6 runs in 2.1 IP. Holmes has a nice start going 5 IP while allowing 2 ER with 4 K. On the offensive side, Chase McDonald had a big game driving in 6 runs including a grand slam. Derek Fisher also reached base four times.
- Chase McDonald, DH: 3-for-4, R, 2B, BB
- Derek Fisher, RF: 3-for-4, R, HR, 6 RBI
- Teoscar Hernandez, CF: 1-for-5, R
- Danry Vasquez, LF: 1-for-4, R, SB
- Brian Holmes, LHP: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
- Michael Freeman, LHP: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K
A+: Lancaster Jethawks (8-11) won 1-0 (BOX SCORE)
1-0 games don’t happen often in the California League, especially games where the only run scored comes in the top of the first inning. Starter Trent Thornton went 5 innings allowing just one hit and no runs. Joshua James pitched the second half of the tandem and went 4 hitless innings striking out six. The only run for the Jethawks came on a Nick Tanielu single but it was all that was needed.
- Trent Thornton, RHP: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K
- Joshua James, RHP: 4.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
A: Quad Cities River Bandits (10-12) won 2-1 (BOX SCORE)
Another nice win for QC who has started to roll a bit now. McCanna gave up a run in the first inning but settled down to go four innings allowing just the one run. A bullpen of Deemes, Kessay, and Thome finished off the night to seal the win. Deemes now has a 0.64 ERA on the season. Bobby Wernes had a good game with three hits and two doubles. The River Bandits were able to scratch across a run in the 5th and 8th innings for all the scoring.
- Kyle Tucker, RF: 1-for-4, R
- Bobby Wernes, 3B: 3-for-3, 2 2B
- Brooks Marlow, DH: 0-for-4, RBI
- Christian Correa, C: 2-for-3, R
- Connor Goedert, LF: 1-for-4
- Dexture McCall, 1B: 1-for-4, 2B
- Kevin McCanna, RHP: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- Ryan Deemes, RHP: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Sebastian Kessay, LHP: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (WIN)
- Andrew Thome, RHP: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER,
Today’s starters according to MiLB.com:
FRE: Mike Hauschild (6.35 ERA)
CC: Edison Frias (2.57 ERA)
LAN: Brock Dykxhoorn (2.57 ERA)
QC: Justin Ferrell (-.– ERA)
**Photo Credit: Tammy Tucker**